Allamanda

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Allamanda

Post by M Farooq »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Izhar you mean PH can change the color of the flowers.it happens with Hydrangeas.the gardeners use to add iron in the soil to change the pink into blue.
You are right, pH change in soil can also be brought about by adding metal salts like aluminum sulfate or iron sulfate. But the story of hydrangea is even more beautiful (scientifically). In order to produce pure blue colour in the flowers, aluminum is needed. Now as you said, some people also add iron, the key effect is that iron salt lowers the soil pH. This results in dissolution of aluminum when we add water. Since aluminum is naturally present in all soils, hydrangea preferentially absorbs Al from the soil. Al forms a blue coloured compound with the components present in the flowers - hence the pure blue colour.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

This double Almanda has slightly smaller flower, but is more cold resistant and has dense growth.

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

so it can survive at Islamabad.i,l check for it tomorrow Inshallah.Farooq sb Hydrangeas are so beautiful i planted five plants in my garden.but they do not flower here.the color changing tech is very interesting.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Plant it along a wall that gets sun drenched in winter. Even if the top dies it will bounce back.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

I see.i,m going to visit the nurseries.i hope i,l find it at Islamabad nurseries.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

No other vine keeps the show as it does.
AS today

UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Brig sb its really a very beautiful vein but unfortunately i can,t grow it in Islamabad or Mardan successful.in the winters it dies even in plastic tunnel.

Return to “Vines”