Confused gardener

Discussions on fertilizers, Plant Food and Composts Etc

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Confused gardener

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Sorry sir for confusing you further and myself also by putting up few questions to fellow members

How many of us have calorie charts and nutritional diet as per recommendations of a nutritionist?
Does natural scheme always provide specific plant what it requires?
Do plants not have active combat strategies to adapt to various deficiencies?
Aren't we understating the potential of a soil. Will its NPK etc vanish in few planting season????? What is rate of consumption of NPK by a plant?
Without enough microbial activity will plant be able to benefit from all nutrients available?
Without testing the soil, won't we be over feeding or wasting costly fertilizer?
Do your plant show any specific sign of nutrient deficiency/ or you feed them proactively?
Have you experimented, how a fertilized plant behaves at your place as compared to one not fertilized?
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Confusion confounded....... .
Last edited by Munir on August 31st, 2013, 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Sir,

I have physically verified myself the weight of a fertlizer in powder form in 1 teaspoon which comes to 4 gram. I had estimated it roughly to be 5 gram per teaspoon then in 3 kg would amount to 600 teaspoons that can be used to feed 600 plants at a time since 1 teaspoon per plant. With actual weight of 4 gram per teaspoon would mean 750 teaspoon in a 3 kg packing.

Sir i only tend to fertlizer it from January till March with 1 teaspoon per plant during a month. So 3 kg is sufficient for 250 roses since i am only going to fertlize them once a month from January till March. From April onwards till November i never tend to apply any fertlizer.

In addition the following url also mentions the weight of a powder in 1 teaspoon to be 5 gram. In the url they are using baking powder in 1 teaspoon for weight purposes.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_gram ... wder_weigh

regards,
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Imran says, I have physically verified myself the weight of a fertilizer in powder form in 1 teaspoon which comes to 4 gram. I had estimated it roughly to be 5 gram per teaspoon then in 3 kg would amount to 600 teaspoons that can be used to feed 600 plants at a time since 1 teaspoon per plant. With actual weight of 4 gram per teaspoon would mean 750 teaspoon in a 3 kg packing. {CORRECT}
I was just pointing out that instructions on the packing recommend 20 grams per plant where as you are feeding only 4 gm which is 1/5 of the recommended dose. If you give the recommended dose the packing is only good for 150 plants.

Friends we are moving away from the topic, the topic of discussion is;
If the requirement of the plant is NPK ratio 56-9-35, why are we using what you have mentioned above.
The topic is NOT what I use.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Sir how much dosage per plant do you recommend based on your experience?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

mikhurram wrote:Sir how much dosage per plant do you recommend based on your experience?
I have little experience of roses,as i have mentioned earlier my last three attempts were failure, at the moment I gathering information for success in roses.
Let us stick to the topic only.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote: I have little experience of roses,as i have mentioned earlier my last three attempts were failure, at the moment I gathering information for success in roses.
Let us stick to the topic only.
Sorry sorry sorry for going off topic for the last time :P.

Show me healthier Roses than these around on the forum
http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... PAF#p15752

The poor fellows do not even get water what to talk about NPK/fungicides etc.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

They are from THE LAND OF ROSES
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Now let me explain the conditions a little :-) of land of Roses
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Imran says, I have physically verified myself the weight of a fertilizer in powder form in 1 teaspoon which comes to 4 gram. I had estimated it roughly to be 5 gram per teaspoon then in 3 kg would amount to 600 teaspoons that can be used to feed 600 plants at a time since 1 teaspoon per plant. With actual weight of 4 gram per teaspoon would mean 750 teaspoon in a 3 kg packing. {CORRECT}
I was just pointing out that instructions on the packing recommend 20 grams per plant where as you are feeding only 4 gm which is 1/5 of the recommended dose. If you give the recommended dose the packing is only good for 150 plants.

Friends we are moving away from the topic, the topic of discussion is;
If the requirement of the plant is NPK ratio 56-9-35, why are we using what you have mentioned above.
The topic is NOT what I use.
Can I add my two cents? I guess the all the above mentioned numbers (i.e. weight) become meaningful when we talk about weight of fertilizer per area OR weight of fertilizer/ in water because it not the absolute amounts of N-P-K but the concentrations of nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium in the soil that matter.

As a crude analogy, adding 20 grams of salt to a glass of water will make the water bitter but 20 grams of salt in a river will have no effect on the taste of water. So before we do further delibrations, the readers should mention weight of fertilizer per something (= land area, soil mass, water etc.). Weight of fertilizer per plant doesn't make much sense to me :-(

Return to “Fertilizers”