Which Mulch???

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Which Mulch???

Post by aykhan »

I have so many long beds so I really need a lot of mulch. Leaf mold is ideal I guess but I'm getting it extremely expensive. Any recommendations as to which mulch to use for cost effectiveness? What about grass clipping? I know there is a nitrogen sucking up problem but maybe that can be countered by adding a little urea?
dragoonsers
City: Karachi

Re: Which Mulch???

Post by dragoonsers »

Simply use old leaves!!
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I tired many things....
1. if you don't have termite problem wood clippings can serve the purpose well. Do not use saw dust. Get it from carpenter's waste bin with a little tip.
2. Grass clipping/newspaper go away in a jiffy......you would be required to replenish very often.
3. Leaves.......In my opinion all types of leaves will not serve the purpose. They are prone to fungus problem especially as they will remain wet. Looks untidy as they decompose. Leaves which take longer to decay such as sufaida leaves worked better for me.
4. Straw. Such as the one available for dairy fodder. But the big problem with it was that it was flying here and there with wind causing excessive litter.
5. For perennial beds, where you are not disturbing the soil at all, you can try marble waste(the one that is used for floor making). It does not get hot with sun.

Best bet is bark......Looks too good, mostly free of disease and weed. Retains moisture. It might not be available in market but what i was thinking to scavenge for it in countryside :-)....underneath trees. In this regard pine tree dropping are also good if you can get hold of it.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

To be effective mulch should be at least 3 inches thick, it should not touch the stem, and it is likely to retain too much moisture during rainy season killing some plants, dead leaves are the best but look most untidy, mulching means no hoeing and no aeration of roots. The bark most easily available is of Kikar used for tanning of hides, what effect will it have on the plants?
I would be using lots of leaf compost to improve the soil working it in the upper layer.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

As Bark is a dead tissue,i doubt kikar bark would have any side effect.

Bark is Impermeable to water....hence least amount of water required once watering as nothing is soaked. Bark will also not hold any rain water. However water evaporation can be an issue after rain, if the soil has poor drainage.

Sir Melaleuca that you have is a good source of bark for mulching :-)

Eucalyptus leaves/sufaida are one of the best mulching leaves......i did a little online research. They are easily available also in our country.

Return to “Questions and Problems”