ORCHIDS-URGENT HELP NEEDED

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Dr Babar Matin
City: Karachi

ORCHIDS-URGENT HELP NEEDED

Post by Dr Babar Matin »

Dear friends
I have just received a gift of Orchids from Bankok. They are in a bottle with lid closed with small plants like things inside. I cannot make out whether it is one plant or many in one bottle. Along with it there are few hanging baskets. My question is how long will they survive until I plant them as they should be. What should I do now. ? An urgent help is needed. I live in Karachi. Thanks.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Re: ORCHIDS-URGENT HELP NEEDED

Post by Hamad »

I m not Orchid expert but I have limited knowledge on propagation of orchids and their care, usually they are propagated from seeds but its not as simple as it sounds, propagation technique is called tissue culture and it require proper lab and sterilized condition and usually they are supplied from Thailand. according to your explanation you must have their premature plants in sterilised bottle and they must be in the gel like substance and they need to be grown in the same medium as long as they are not big enough to handle (size could be 1'' to 3'') if you post some pics that will be more helpful and there is information available on internet regarding their propagation from seed, tissue culture and their care. And if any member has firsthand experience of Orchid then they will add.

link for the Orchid propagation with the help of tissue culture http://butterflies.heuristron.net/artic ... mSeed.html and you can find many more

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Questions and Problems”