Scotch Bonnets not ripening..turning Red i.e.

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

PBGardener
City: Karachi

Scotch Bonnets not ripening..turning Red i.e.

Post by PBGardener »

Hi Guys...

I am back with one of my myriad problems.

So well...i have lovely scotch bonnet chillies on my plants...but they are not ripening. They are out in the sun. Am i supposed to do something to make them ripen? (When i say they are not ripening i mean that they are not turning orange / red.... they are all green).

The same thing happens to my Big Jims...they just stay green.

They are in small pots...should i repot them into big ones.

But there is no problem with the amount of produce...there is enough fruit...its just not turning the right colour..

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

PB
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Scotch Bonnets not ripening..turning Red i.e.

Post by Izhar »

Seems like micro-nutrient deficiency... there is a product known as Cash +, its a foliar micro-nutrient fertilizer, spray your plants with it..
PBGardener

Post by PBGardener »

Its now a case of they came and they went....... :(

They were late bloomers...but when they came into fruit...they were phenomenal...i have posted two of the pictures below...

Alas! the chilli factor was short lived...! the plants are now infected and almost dead...i think they are aphids...but unlike normal aphids i can't see the aphids overleaf...the leaves are almost black overleaf...but there are no living organism...but there is powdery black substance..the symptoms are all aphid like..probably a different kind of aphid than the one for cucumbers (thats the one i have encountered before)....

the problem is i am organic...so can't use chemical sprays...so i would use garlic spray..which i have used with amazing results on my cucumbers...but i was wondering does anyone know if we can find ladybirds in Karachi...as i want to start a ladybird colony...as thats the best deterrent to aphids...and since i have quite a few aphid attractions therefore i would much rather have a permanent standing army....

also does anyone know if there are any downsides on having lady birds in teh garden...

thank you
Attachments
These WERE my Scotch Bonnets
These WERE my Scotch Bonnets
IMG_0484.jpg (19.78 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
They gave an amazing crop...
They gave an amazing crop...
IMG_0485.jpg (19.1 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Wow!
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

If it was white / off-white small granules like substance on the underside of the leaves then it might be white flies.. remember that many chili varieties dont respond well to the heat of Karachi from March till June end... I always has good results with chilies planted in July...

I have seen Ladybirds in Karachi in cooler season only...
PBGardener

Post by PBGardener »

No there is nothing white..just black. Mashallah I have never had problems with chillies before but this time it's not just my SB that have been decimated but the Big Jims are gone too.

Thank you for the tip on the LB I guess it's just garlic spray then.
safi310
City: Lahore

Post by safi310 »

I am facing a problem with my scotch bonnets recently. They are growing well, and almost half of each fruit is red. But the problem is they arent hot. In other words as hot as bell peppers
Need some advice on it.

Return to “Questions and Problems”