Mango trees

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

UMAR KHAN

Mango trees

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Aoa all friennnnds! i have 7 grafted mango trees & 4 bhalwal kino trees.all my trees use to fruit every year.one year full nxt year less.but this year not a single fruit exept the anwar rator with few fruits.my fruiter & orange red blood are full of fruits.i raised this question with one of leading orange orchard owner of mardan.he is a retd banker as well not an ordinary mali.he told me that mangoes & kino are warm climate trees,this time the winter season prolonged due to rains.so thats why the grafted mangos & kino do not have yields.i m raising the same question again is it the the cool weather realy the cause for this problem.actualy i m very worried about it.
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Mango trees

Post by tweedle2009 »

UMAR KHAN wrote:Aoa all friennnnds! i have 7 grafted mango trees & 4 bhalwal kino trees.all my trees use to fruit every year.one year full nxt year less.but this year not a single fruit exept the anwar rator with few fruits.my fruiter & orange red blood are full of fruits.i raised this question with one of leading orange orchard owner of mardan.he is a retd banker as well not an ordinary mali.he told me that mangoes & kino are warm climate trees,this time the winter season prolonged due to rains.so thats why the grafted mangos & kino do not have yields.i m raising the same question again is it the the cool weather realy the cause for this problem.actualy i m very worried about it.
Yes Umar, it happens often.Last year we had sudden change in temp, resulting in very short spring season.Lychee yields were 60% down.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I have seen that in payti of mangos there are some packets (for ripening them) and it is advices that to keep them in them for 2 to 3 days. Why? and What exactly is the thing used for ripening them?
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Mustansir Billah wrote:I have seen that in payti of mangos there are some packets (for ripening them) and it is advices that to keep them in them for 2 to 3 days. Why? and What exactly is the thing used for ripening them?
Calcium carbide.
Though it will do the trick, but can not match the taste of naturally ripening fruit. Secondly there are some health concerns with the use of this chemical.
Mustansir Billah

I totally agree with you because I have eaten home grown and artificially ripened vegetables. There is extreme difference of taste.
Hello1

Post by Hello1 »

farhan137 wrote:
Mustansir Billah wrote:I have seen that in payti of mangos there are some packets (for ripening them) and it is advices that to keep them in them for 2 to 3 days. Why? and What exactly is the thing used for ripening them?
Calcium carbide.
Though it will do the trick, but can not match the taste of naturally ripening fruit. Secondly there are some health concerns with the use of this chemical.
I read somewhere about calcium carbide that it is used for ripening fruit and can cause lung cancer. What calcium carbide does for mangoes is that it produces acetylene gas, which creates heat.

"Acetylene’s main application is in welding and as a fuel. When generated from calcium carbide, acetylene contains toxic impurities that affect the neurological system. When acetylene fills up the box of mangoes, it heats the fruit from outside. Mangoes start losing their green colour and turn yellow from outside."

So as they say "Buyer Beware"
Mustansir Billah

Very Hazardous!
That is why I am now growing my own vegetable and fruits.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

A dangerous chemical, banned for the ripening of fruit in almost all countries.

In the artificial ripening of fruit, calcium carbide is sometimes used as source of acetylene gas, which is a ripening agent similar to ethylene. However, this is illegal as fruits artificially ripened using calcium carbide can cause cancer and other serious health problems in those who prepare and consume them.

I ate some imported Pakistani mangoes a few weeks ago they looked nice but were as tasteless as the awfull bland US variety "tommy Atkins". In addition they made my stomach bad for days.

Can these latooray be made to realise the damage they are doing to their own business as well as the reputation of the fine Pakistani mangoes available. This year many consumers were simply not purchasing the boxes of mangoes. No wonder the US banned the sale and import of Pakistani Mangoes and Oranges, it wont be so long before many other countries also follow suit. Sad but its true, then they can keep their mangoes for the home market for low profit margins.

regards
Ifzal
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Sorry I must correct the above statement, the US has allowed the import of small quantities of mangoes from Pakistan by air freight since 2011, this has however been under strict procedures that involve irradiation of the fruit to eliminate the pests of fruit fly and lepidoptera species as well fungi.

The whole process is strictly controlled with the pakistani orchards growing the mango to be registered with the USDA & FDA as well as the exporter and importer. Certificates of compliance, inspections of the consignment, growing, processing and packaging are rigorously checked and enforced.

On average Pakistan annually produces around 1.5 million tonnes. it is the worlds fourth largest exporter. The US globally imports around half a million tonnes so the mathematics speak for themselves, any idiot can see the illegal use of calcium carbide to bolster profits does significant harm to this trade.

Pakistani mangoes do have a superior and unique taste being amongst the best in the world

Return to “Questions and Problems”