Garden Design

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Hijaab
City: Mississauga

Garden Design

Post by Hijaab »

These are 3 small lawn spaces in my house. As you can see how neglected it is. Nevertheless, I would like some help from you experts please.
I just don't want to simply plant some plants, but want to give an aesthetic look as well.
Can you please tell me what size, color and types of pots I should use (if any) to put around these areas?
Can I put some fancy benches?
If not an actual fountain, but an imitation would work well where?
Can I change the shape of these in any way, if yes, which one?

Thanks,
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Garden Design

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Few questions first

Which is the backyard....to me 2nd image appears to be backyard
What are your preferences for plants? Fragrant, annuals, low maintenance etc etc?
how much you are willing to spend?
Do you want an instant garden i.e buy plants and place them or you want to have joy of growing?
do you have any labor? support in renovating this place or you would be doing it yourself????

plz answer each
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

It seems photo 2nd and 3rd are of the front , they are left and right of the front gate, there is a good sign of grass in this area, seems sun exposure is present, if this is the case you may grow many varieties of plants here. The photo number 1 is an area with less exposure to sun because of no grass, this area can be used for shade loving plants.

I suggest you to visit a nearby nursery and select some plants which you like and collect information regarding which palnt is sun loving and which is shade loving.Then place them accordingly.

Putting benches and decoration stuff will reduce the area but aesthetics and ideas have no limit , in small space you may use stands , rockeries, hanging pots from wall etc. you may also prune the duranta in photo # 2 into shapes.

Try to fill plants of different color foilage and different shape leaves to add attractive looks, moreover the kerbs can be used for annuals in springs as well.
Hijaab
City: Mississauga

Post by Hijaab »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:Few questions first

Which is the backyard....to me 2nd image appears to be backyard
What are your preferences for plants? Fragrant, annuals, low maintenance etc etc?
how much you are willing to spend?
Do you want an instant garden i.e buy plants and place them or you want to have joy of growing?
do you have any labor? support in renovating this place or you would be doing it yourself????

plz answer each
All 3 are on the front. The 2 bigger one are on side by side-they are on the left side of the house, but not at the back.
The smaller one at the front for that I want to plant some flowering plants on each corner- like mix and match of diff. plants. And in the middle I am planning to having a small decorative fountain.
For the other two- the one with grass- I plant to plant some fruit trees only. And the one on top of it- grass and some green and flower plants in the kerbs.
Willing to spend a 100,000
I want an instant one.
Yes, I can get labour support.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thankyou for detailed reply. So you have a handsome budget and labor support, and moreover as you want instant Garden it shouldn't be much of a problem. You will only need to supervise.

Before we start giving you suggestions. One last question :-)..can you tell us what is the exposure of the three portions. Meaningby how much sun do they get in a day? you can notice that by observing all 3 yards in different times of the day till evening and let us know. If you let us know what is the orientation that is which is on east/west/north/south will also help us in suggesting plants.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Good luck on the design of your garden.

I myself have designed an octagonal 3 umbrella Chattri loosely based on a 1969 design from the award winning RHS Wisley gardens. It is approx 30ft x 30ft in widths and 9-12ft height (apex) looks quite impressive and is open on all sides with planting areas, It provides shade and also an ideal environment for the more tender indoor plants. I have been told by all that have seen it that is quite unique with none of its design in the area. I will upload some photographs in due course.

I am planning on having a water feature design within it but this will be during my next trip in October. I will upload some pictures in due course as I believe harmonious hard landscapings are just as essential in good garden design.

I often travel from Jhelum through Mandhi on my way to Chilianwala station locality where we have agricultural lands so I know how hot the area gets in June.

Regards

Ifzal

Return to “Questions and Problems”