Why my Hibiscus not blooming?

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Why my Hibiscus not blooming?

Post by jdashraf »

AoA. I recently purchased two plants of Hibiscus, one of the plants was about to flower .. however after lapse of abt one week, it is not blooming, whats wrong with it.. Please help.

Javed Ashraf.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Why my Hibiscus not blooming?

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Are they still in the pots. They may drop the flower buds.
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

i transplanted them in bigger pots on day of purchase.. leaves are ok but buds are not opening up..
Javed Ashraf.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

it happens with hibiscus that it cannot bear shock of transplant for at least one year.i bought 6 plants of double hibiscus previous year with same condition as yours and transplanted them in beds.now after one year only two are flowering other are still dropping buds.i am also curious why they are not blooming.they make buds but matured buds are dropped without opening..i even feed them NPK occasionally.ANOTHER ASPECT IS THIS THAT LOCALLY BOUGHT AND SELF ROOTED DOUBLE HIBISCUS ARE DOING VERY WELL THEY ARE GROWING AND FLOWERING.but these colorful hibiscus are very slow growing and looks like they are still in shock.any solution ?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Save it from mid day sun.. do not fertilize... spraying or washing with water will also benefit... a grafted plant is much better option... the beautiful blooming tropical hibiscus are so fussy and their roots are extremely sensitive, grafting or budding them on H. rosa-seninses makes them less vulnerable to stress and soil borne pests...
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

in my experience not all the buds that appear do flower, it needs time to adjust, being tropical it doesn't like temperature and humitdity variations therefore buds keeps on dropping for me as well, buds to blooming ratio for me is 50%.

it is also hungry for fertilizer and needs quick waterings as roots cover the pot immediately , i believe putting in the ground is far better choice.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Javed sb there are many factor for bud drop. One is that the plant is under stress when it is replanted.Double Hibiscuss hates root disturbance. So its good if you directly plant it in to open ground.Secondly keep watering the plant during flowering time.Another thing Hibiscus like roses are heavy feeders. So fertilize after each flash.Keep in mind if you are applying hi Nitrogen fertilizer it also triggers bud drop.Mealy bugs are big problem so keep Imeda cloprid in advance. Remember organic pesticides are very slow so avoid them or lose you Hibiscus.
The main problem which persist in our region is the extreme temp difference.When there is too much difference in the temp between the days & night it will cause bud drop.These days the morning temp & After noon temp is too much different.
Bud drop is common with Doubles than singles. Izhar i don,t think grafting will work because its genetically in with Doubles.Its the job of the Hybridizer to select parents which can with hold the buds.I am facing these problems specially in Golden orange & Ivory white.I,l try Boron this time.I use it in pear orchard if the bud drop is too much. I hope it will give help to fight against bud drop.
sage
City: lahore
Gardening Interests: I like gardening. am a beginner but i want learn abt gardening by joing this forum.

Post by sage »

i was having the same problem..a lot of buds used to appear but next day buds drop down before blooming...i had transfer my plant frm pot to ground last year during..plant took time to establish itself then grdually started growing...but it had drastic effects during summer..due to heat perhaps..in Barsaat the buds finally bloomed..but it was quite dependant on heat..during rains beutiful blooms were observed...and when it used to hot day buds droped down.
fr my plant will take some time then it will establish itself...with proper watering etc..

Return to “Questions and Problems”