Petunia Seeds not sprouting

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Re: Petunia Seeds not sprouting

Post by Syed Adnan »

Ok I wil give you one tip for plastic sheet sowing method, sow the seeds in slightly damp soil and make air tight pot by plastic, no water , if you see sheet is covered with mist , you are doing fine , the atmosphere is good for seeds to sprout, check daily and remove plastic a soon as seedling sprout, move them to airy bright location. The problem comes when we over mist the seeds in warm weather , they already get rotten by the time we realize. GOODLUCK.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Syed Adnan wrote:Ok I wil give you one tip for plastic sheet sowing method, sow the seeds in slightly damp soil and make air tight pot by plastic, no water , if you see sheet is covered with mist , you are doing fine , the atmosphere is good for seeds to sprout, check daily and remove plastic a soon as seedling sprout, move them to airy bright location. The problem comes when we over mist the seeds in warm weather , they already get rotten by the time we realize. GOODLUCK.
I was under the impression that air tight seals are damaging for seeds because it will promote fungi / mold growth. What is logic of using plastic sheets, is it for bird protection? If yes, we can uses meshes and avoid the decaying issue altogether.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

The purpose it to provide controlled moisture to seeds avoiding overwatering and drying, both can kill seeds.
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

So its been more than 21 days now tehre are no signs of seeds sprouting .. What should I do , wait for few more days ? or try and sow new seeds?
By the way, till what time i can sow petunia seeds?
Javed Ashraf.
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Go for seedlings and also sow some fresh seeds too for gaining first hand experience. Forget already sown, too much time is passed.
Rafique
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Javed sb if you are new to seeds sowing dont,t go for petunia seeds as they are very fine seeds marked F-1. Start from easy to germinate seeds like Mesemry, Nastertiums, Dahlia.With passage of time you will learn how to handle F-1 seeds then go for Petunias.
Another thing seed sowing is one of the great fun we enjoy in gardening.But sow those which are not easily available on the market as seedlings.You can find so many named varieties as seedlings in the nurseries.Dont waste time & purchase ready to plant seedlings.I,l plant Petunia in mid of Jan when all danger of frost will be past.I always plant my annuals after last week of DEC.
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Javed sb if you are new to seeds sowing dont,t go for petunia seeds as they are very fine seeds marked F-1. Start from easy to germinate seeds like Mesemry, Nastertiums, Dahlia.With passage of time you will learn how to handle F-1 seeds then go for Petunias.
Yes, I am new to sowing from seeds as compared to you guys.. But this is 3rd season that I am sowing from seeds. In this season also I have sown about 12-15 different types of seeds including few F1 seeds. Most of them have germinated less the petunia seeds under discussion.
Javed Ashraf.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

i am sure that petunia seeds you tried were hanging,wave petunia...because this year every one including nurserymen are complaining that petunia hanging seeds not germinated.it is due to same seed supplier to all seed stores.perhaps seeds were not viable.

Return to “Questions and Problems”