When to seperate these Zinnia's seedlings?

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

riaz
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Horticultural specially roses and interest in fragrant and bulbous plants

When to seperate these Zinnia's seedlings?

Post by riaz »

Please suggest me right time to transfer these seedlings?

As these seedlings are getting older and taller what is the reason that they are falling (curving down)?
Attachments
Zinnia Seedlings
Zinnia Seedlings
Riaz
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Re: When to seperate these Zinnia's seedlings?

Post by jdashraf »

This is not the right time for Zinnia, but since you have already grown them usually these are transplanted when you see its third leaf. They do well when planted in situ. All the best.
Javed Ashraf.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Considering that you are in Karachi...it is almost right time for zinnias. Traditionally yes they are grown a month or two later in Karachi, but keeping in view the temperature range there is no harm.

Now Zinnias do not like transplanting at all and are better started in situ. If carefully separated i.e. least possible damage to roots, they will do, but give them shade till few days of transplanting and well watered. You can separate them now. As Javed Sb mentioned 3rd set of leaves is a good reference.

In my opinion if you have to sow such plants in pots(which resents transplanting) it is better to separate them as soon as possible. By possible means when you can handle them. I have been transplanting various seedlings infact at the stage of false leaves and they show no harm. Its just the matter of handling them gently, and caring for both roots and leaves.

As seedlings have become lanky, transplant them a little deeper than usual so that they develop strong stem or they will always be a floppy plant. Deep enough to make them strong. Transplanting too much deeper than the initial level also stresses out the seedling. Its a compromise.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

They are falling because of compacter sowing and lesser light.
riaz
Gardening Interests: Horticultural specially roses and interest in fragrant and bulbous plants

Post by riaz »

Thanks all, well i am unable to understand the meaning of situ :-(

well this weekend I will transplant them, will tell you the results and survivors :-)
Riaz
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

riaz wrote:Thanks all, well i am unable to understand the meaning of situ :-(

well this weekend I will transplant them, will tell you the results and survivors :-)
Meanings of in situ:- "situated in the original, natural, or existing place or position: The archaeologists were able to date the vase because it was found in situ."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/in+situ

That is you plant them at their final locations right from the start. If you want them in ground/pots, sow them directly in the ground/pots dont move or transplant them...Hope this will help.
Javed Ashraf.
riaz

Post by riaz »

Ohh... I did this mistake :o :-( Let's see what will happen after shifting in separate pots. I am going to perform this operation this Saturday. I need prayers from all forum members. :roll:
Riaz
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Transplanting zinnias is extremely easy... they transplant very well but as the transplanted plant is comparatively rated below then a direct growing plant... i have always planted zinnias in small pots then transplanted them in final location (pot or ground) and almost all seedlings survive...

put the pot up-side-down and take out the whole soil along with plants taking care not to damage the plants... carefully separate each plant, some roots will break so dont worry.... plant them in final location deeply as they can produce roots easily from their stem... do this in evening and water immediately... full sun is required for healthy plant....
riaz

Post by riaz »

Hmm nice tips Izhar bhai, thanks
Riaz

Return to “Questions and Problems”