Lucky Bamboo in trouble

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

whiteangel
City: Lahore

Lucky Bamboo in trouble

Post by whiteangel »

I bought 5 Lucky Bamboo shoots last year. They were put in a glass vase. They stayed in-direct light and I got good growth out of them for a few months they stopped growing in winter and then the growth reappeared in spring this year.

At the end of May I noticed that a couple of stems were getting yellow. I changed the water and inspected the roots. They look healthy and rust brown/off-white in colour. I took the plant into the basement thinking that its probably the heat that is causing this. But the stems have kept deteriorating over the week and I can't figure out why it is happening. The plant has never been fertilized. It's likely that I'll have to trim the stems off before the entire thing turns yellow and dies. I will upload pics of the plant later today.

What is wrong with my plant and how can I ensure that this does not happen again?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Lucky Bamboo in trouble

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

The Bamboo have ran out of luck.
You cant be a winner all the time.
Arif
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Lucky Bamboos being Dracaena can be grown in water but is advisable to grow them in pots having ordinary soil.

My experience was that the stems inevitably used to turn brown even after 2 or 3 years placed in water with precautions like changing water regularly after 2 weeks and the spread of dengue since 2011 there were taken out of water vases and placed in a soil pot filled with ordinary soil outdoors in a place having shade mostly and they are thriving ever since then and not even a single stem has turned brown.

If you want to grow them in water only then rainwater would be best. However keeping in mind dengue epidemic consider growing them indoors in ordinary soil or outdoors in a shaded site.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

mikhurram wrote:Lucky Bamboos being Dracaena can be grown in water but is advisable to grow them in pots having ordinary soil.

My experience was that the stems inevitably used to turn brown even after 2 or 3 years placed in water with precautions like changing water regularly after 2 weeks and the spread of dengue since 2011 there were taken out of water vases and placed in a soil pot filled with ordinary soil outdoors in a place having shade mostly and they are thriving ever since then and not even a single stem has turned brown.

If you want to grow them in water only then rainwater would be best. However keeping in mind dengue epidemic consider growing them indoors in ordinary soil or outdoors in a shaded site.
Angles do not acknowledge?

Return to “Questions and Problems”