Motia/Jasmine/Mogra?

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Motia/Jasmine/Mogra?

Post by Izhar »

I suggest you to select your plant by its appearance and not by the name as many are misnomers and you may eventually end up with two exactly same plants with different names.

Once you get the pictures of leaves and blooms of your desired Jasmine, it will be much easier to identify it correctly.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Izhar is correct. Don't go on names. Check the flower/fragrance and leaves and that's it. Get advantage of heat, you can check fragrance of all these plants these days. Check yourself and enlighten us on difference :lol:

btw, will try to put more varieties of motia/mogra this weekend on forum.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

How i can show Charagh to Suraj.
Its not possible to show light to stars like u and Izhar and many other experts here.
Rafique
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Sir Sir Sir.... we all learn from each others experiences and continue to do so in future, ask any question even if you find them silly because its better to learn the right way rather the continuing the wrong path.. share your techniques and experiences, we may get to learn & benefit from something that we are unaware of...
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Aoa Izhar i love this motia which you captured in your photo.it does not need regular care.the flowers are very fragrant & are double.its good than mogra.i have some plants in my hujra. Rafique sb this is the best motia.its leaves are long & pointed.I agree with Izhar & Khabbab.dont go on names.let me tell you our nursery men even dont know the correct names.they have given their own names.this is the best which izhar has posted
rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

I am really grateful to Izhar, Khabbab and Umar for their valuable comments.
I will do as instructed by u people.
Thank you once again for ur precious time and inputs.
regards
Rafique
ayub

Post by ayub »

Yeah you are right Umar, nursery people don't even know the correct names of the plants.
One such instance happened to me, i bought Aptenia cordifolia from a local nursery. When i asked the nursery person he said its called "Jhoomer bail". I came home and search on internet about the specs and come to know that "Jhoomer bail" is actually rangoon creeper. It took me some google searches to sort out the name i.e. Aptenia cordifolia.
On another instance i saw a "Cyprus creeper" at a nursery, i asked the person and he told me its "Ishq-e-Peechan" vine. When i searched on internet then i found out that Ishq-e-Peecha" is infact "Ivy-leaved Morning Glory" :)
Its nice to have this forum where we can ask questions according to our local environment.
By the way, Aptenia cordifolia is indoor or outdoor plant. Nursery man told me it should be kept in open sun. But i doubt it!
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Ayub, this time the nurseryman was right, open sun, a dry period between watering...
ayub

Post by ayub »

Azhar - Thnks for the clarification, my Aptinia "Red apple" is in a coconut husk basket which is only around 4 inches deep and in open sun. Suggest a watering plan for it. Currently im watering it every alternate day.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Alternate day watering is fine if it is not subjected to continuous air current, it is an excellent plant for hanging baskets, easily propagated from cuttings..

Return to “Questions and Problems”