Seed sowing

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

new gardener
City: Karachi

Re: Seed sowing

Post by new gardener »

Tahir Khan wrote:Prayers for a good start :)
well said..

i have planted some seeds few days earlier mostly flower.. i experiment on them and planted in small polythene bag..usually use for carrying milk and yogurt.. and few in plastic bottles.. the good thing is that .. both give me results.. Dianthus seeds sprouted 2nd day.. and going well .. rest are still not showing any result..

i m aslo praying ;)
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

a few days ago i planted some seeds of oregano and lavender. i covered them with plastic bag with holes for air and put them in bright sunlight in my patio. i recieve eight hours of sunlight there. i kept them there for ten days and nothing sprouted from about hundred of those seeds. instead i got some white worms in the soil and very bad stench that i had to throw it all away. please tell me the reason for this. also tell me if i can purchase those seed trays to sow the seeds and transplant them after they have sprouted. and also that if i have to moisten the soil before sowing .
new gardener

Post by new gardener »

Madiha Humbal wrote:a few days ago i planted some seeds of oregano and lavender. i covered them with plastic bag with holes for air and put them in bright sunlight in my patio. i recieve eight hours of sunlight there. i kept them there for ten days and nothing sprouted from about hundred of those seeds. instead i got some white worms in the soil and very bad stench that i had to throw it all away. please tell me the reason for this. also tell me if i can purchase those seed trays to sow the seeds and transplant them after they have sprouted. and also that if i have to moisten the soil before sowing .
well i m also a beginner i m also learning here ...but i suggest u to change the soil.. the reason is may b u water too much.. or u sow the seeds so much deeply.. Oregano seeds require some light to germinate, so cover only slightly with soil. Oregano is one of those 'Mediterranean' herbs that like well-drained soil, on the lean side, and full sun. i cant say anything about lavender as i have no i dead about it..

regarding your seeds tray purchasing.. its good for u to sow seeds in them but i got slow germination results in seed trays rather then others..

here are few experiments i did with my seeds and results are in front of u..

u can see some sprouted seeds in that too.. few got ruined by rain few days back...

simple sanitary casings covers.. to avoid bird biting

Coke Bottles as well as seed tray in back

Pot..
Asim_Nawaz
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Good effort, Seed Germination is step by step process. Step by step means first 2 weeks it will germinate from soil, next week means "12 days" improve is little bit size having first leave. Next week improve its size and true leaves develop showing variety of plant having flowering, herbs or vegetables.
Asim
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

I have following comments on this topic, iam successfully growing annuals from seeds , 90% can sprout easily by following tips:

1. Seed germination is largly dependant on temperature, wait for the right temperature before sowing.
2. Excess water and low water can kill the seeds. A right humidity balance is maintained by covering the pot with plastic sheet, no donot put a hole in the plastic sheet, air is already enough inside to support the seedlings, you may reduce the soil depth in pot to give space above . But it could be a problem if seedlings are not getting enough light after they sprout.
3. I use to water the soil first and when it drained, i sow the seeds based on the guidlines about the depth, normally small seeds like petunia, anterhiniums are to be spread on surface, the large seeds like sunflower, hollihox required depth in soil. i never water again just cover with the plastic sheet and put under a tree or semi shade, the moisture inside the pot will be enough for 15 - 20 days.
4. The moisture on plastic sheet serves as an indication meter,meaning your required moisture is in the limit, you may tilt the pot left or right to let the drops drain sideweays allowing you to see inside, i do not personally recommend removing plastic sheet to see seed sprout, a seedling can live 2 to 3 days easily even under the sheet.
5. Put all you pots with seedlings in a semi shade area where there is a morning / evening sun or Under a tree is a best place.
6. Veggies seeds are fairly easy to grow and mostly are sown directly in the ground.
7. Some seeds required nipping like sweet peas etc.

goodluck.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

JazakAllah for the tips. Anyways all three MIrabillis seeds sprouted but waiting for the others... :)

Return to “Questions and Problems”