Minimum pot size for Mogra

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

javed khaanzada

Minimum pot size for Mogra

Post by javed khaanzada »

Yesterday, I purchased two Mogra plants, those are in plastic bag, each plant is nearly over 2 1/2 feets high. I want them to transfer in pots, what should be the minimum and ideal size of pot?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Minimum pot size for Mogra

Post by Izhar »

18 inch diameter pot, bigger the better...
javed khaanzada

Thanks Dear Izhar.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Mogra; The Motia with big flowers like a rose. If it is the same I would like to know more about it . I have one for the last 10 years. It always looks unhappy, bears a few flowers. Even the cuttings behave the same. Only if I could get as many flowers as from other Motias. If any one has any advice, I will be obliged.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Less water (a dry period between watering), good pruning, full sun & Epsom salt (1tblspn per 4 liter water).

Prune hard, I know its heart aching to cut down large healthy branches but for blooms (as they always develop at the tip of new growth). A friend of mine cut the whole plant in February leaving only stick, the plant regrows and bloom tremendously, he again prunes it in July (monsoon), he waters it once a week in summer and not at all in winter.

It is known as Grand duke of Tuscany jasmine for a reference.
javed khaanzada

Dear Izhar,

Whats the difference between Mogra, Motia & Chanbeli and their english namses?

Out of these above three, which blooms in summer & which in winter?

Kinldy put some light on Epsom salt, do we can use such salt in other plants?

Dont you think watering to Mogra once a week in summer, is sensible when temp here is 42 to 43, which will touch 47 in next few months probably?

Regds-javed
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Motia and Mogra both are Jasminum sambac

Englsih name of Motia is Maid of Orleans Jasmine for double, Arabian Jasmine for Single

English name of Mogra is Grand Duke of Tuscany Jasmine

Chambeli is Jasminum angulare or Jasminum azoricum

English name is South African Jasmine or Azores Jasmine

Khabbab bhai can elaborate on this

All of them bloom through out the year except for the coldest period.

Epsom salt is Magnesium Sulfate which provide essential trace elements to plants for producing Chlorophyll in leaves, can be used in all plants especially those belonging to citrus family.

I am so sorry I forget to mention that my friend's plant is in ground. Once the roots are established they can fend for themselves.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Izhar, good tips. Perhaps pruning is what most people do not do. And i will try epsom salt this year for first time :)

Chambeli is jasminum grandiflorum and there is another variant Jasminum officinale the difference is in pink buds, fragrance is almost same. Chambeli flowers in winter months and spring and when established almost whole year.

Mogra is pointed to different cultivars in lahore and karachi and other areas. In lahore, mogra is pointed towards a motia which is not very fragrant. Now common motia is what we call desi or pakistani motia. And indian motia has bigger flowers and more fragrant flowers. I have both pakistani and indian one and both in bloom. Will post pics on week end.

There is another variety of climbing jasmine. It has very big dark green leaves and climbing habit. They call it climbing motia. Sadly the plant was taken by some relative of mine in my absence last year and i could not see its flowers :x
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

jasminum grandiflorum & Jasminum officinale have 7 lobed leaves while Jasminum angulare or Jasminum azoricum have 5 lobed leaves, all are known as Chambelli

Mogra has big rose like blooms and is most fragrant of all Jasmines, my friend gave me a small plant his shrub produces blooms 1.5" across.

Climbing Jasmine with round large leaves is known as "Juhi" here (not with suffix chawla) or "Bella" it has Chambelli like flower but double and is known as Belle of India in English
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Well different local names for same plant. In lahore, Jasminum azoricum is called as juhi. In karachi it is called as chambeli.

"Bella" is karachi name for what i am referring to climbing motia which is not common in lahore.

Okay let me put a forum post on all jasmines whether climbing or shurbs this weekend. It will be helpful to all users. And experts like izhar and others can correct me for omissions :)
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com

Return to “Questions and Problems”