FLowers of Pakistan - Again!

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Maryam
City: Karachi

FLowers of Pakistan - Again!

Post by Maryam »

Hello Everyone!

Hope you all are fine :-) I want help... I have an on going project for which I asked for assistance here before and got amazing responses. So thank you all.

I need some further assistance. I ask here at this forum ONLY after having searched the internet for the relevant information and not getting any results. If you can suggest any website where I can get the information I require, please let me know. Otherwise, I will be grateful for any help that you can offer.

I need the following information about the flowers listed below:

1. Which part of Pakistan do these flowers originally come from, or are mostly cultivated and found in?
2. What are their common names in English and Urdu.
3. Have I put the flowers in the correct seasons?

March – April – May
• Flamboyant (Gulmohar)
• Amaryllis
• Hollyhock
• Statice
• Sweet Pea
June – July – August
• Chrysanthemum
• Periwinkle
• Poppy
• Zinnia
September – October – November
• Carnation
• Gladiolus
• Cockscomb
• Sunflower
December – January – February
• Amaryllis
• Narcissus
• Pansy
• Rose
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: FLowers of Pakistan - Again!

Post by M Farooq »

I can provide some Urdu names- keep in mind that Western plants will have no Urdu equivalent but you should search the scientific names yourself from Google. It is a matter of investment of time :-). Or search the English name in any decent sized dictionary like Websters and you will get the Latin name as well.

Narcissus = Gul e Nargis or only Nargis
Pansy = Gul-e banafsha
Rose = Gulaab
Sunflower = Sooraj mukhi
Poppy = Khash-khaash
Periwinkle = Sada-bahaar
Chrysanthemum = Gul-e-Daudi
Hollyhock = Gulkhaira
Carnation = Gul-naar
Maryam

Post by Maryam »

Dear Mr. Farooq,

Thank you so much for your help. I think my constant asking for help has given the impression that I am not doing my homework and am conveniently throwing it on this forum. :-)

Please let me assure you that this is not the case. I have found a lot of information on Google. There is an excellent website of flowers called Flowers of India and I did use it for much of my data collection, but I was on the lookout for a Pakistani website and only seemed to find this one.

If you know of any useful Pakistani links to websites where I can get my required information, I will be grateful if you would share them.

Have a good day.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Few other udru names that i know of from your list

Cockscomb Kalgha
Sweet Pea Kushboo walay Matar
Poppy Also called Dodda

The season that you have mentioned are little wayward in my little experience sharing what i found them to be doing.

• Amaryllis (March-April that is Spring)
• Hollyhock (Spring in our climate, will start to bolt as soon as temperature increases)
• Statice (Spring to early summer....can withstand little early heat of the April/May)
• Sweet Pea (Very Early Spring/Feb to March)...can not tolerate hot weather at all
• Chrysanthemum ( Its a fall plant here blooming Late November to December)
• Periwinkle( Throughout summer that is the perennial sada bahar ....Annual Periwinkle is not that summer hardy/grows better in partial shade and suffers especially in rainy weather)
• Poppy ( Spring....that is for the annual oriental poppy)
• Zinnia ( Early Summer to Monsoon)
• Carnation ( Blooms Late spring to early summer (April/May).....though its a perennial here and will give some insignificant blooms later but will require great care to survive)
• Gladiolus ( No experience)
• Cockscomb (Will start to bloom in summers but the real bloom comes in fall Sep/Oct.....Actually the flowers gradually grows and comes into its final shape in fall)
• Sunflower (Blooms throughout summer to fall but if you are growing it for size, sow late winter so that plant reaches its optimum size)
• Narcissus (Nov-December)
• Pansy (Very early spring infact first plant to bloom after winter and first one to go also.....in west it is used as fall plant also)
• Rose ( for significant blooms----Spring....later due to heat plant goes into sort of hibernation and there might be few blooms but very small, later when temperatures drops in fall it will again bloom)

Most of the plant are not originally from Pakistan but naturalized. Cockscomb and Gul Mohar are though said to have some connection with Sub-continent. Some forms of Poppy are said to be growing in himaliyas but not the oriental poppy.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

But my experience is of up north....Karachites can have a better say
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

When you say FLOWERS OF PAKISTAN it means only one thing that is; flowers of plants NATURAL to area in boundary of Pakistan.
Late prof. R R Stewart of Gordan college Rawalpindi has done lot of research and his work may be available in the lib of the college.
usman.haq
City: Islamabad

Post by usman.haq »

If you define the flowers of Pakistan
The definition can be
1. The flowers that were originated in this region and still present in some parts of Pakistan (Example; Cotton)
2. The flowers that are present in this region from a long time (Example; Rose)
3. The flowers that are currently grown in Pakistan

Then if your define the flowers itself thir can be many definations because almost every plant contain flowers

I have created a list below that belongs to first category from above three.
The first 10 I have seen them myself in Margalla Hills, the last 3 I have only seen in gardens

Lantana camara
Nerium indicum----------------Knair---------------کنیر
Jasminum----------------------Chambeli------------چمبیلی
Calatropis procera------------Ak------------------اک
Dhatora-----------------------Dhatora-------------دھتورا
Euphorbia neriifolia----------Danda thor----------ڈنڈا تھور
Opuntia ficusindica-----------Chitar Thor---------چھتر تھود
Bouheinea vareigata-----------Kachnar-------------کچنار
Azadiracta indica-------------Neem----------------نیم
Cassia fistula----------------Amaltas-------------املتاس

Jasminum----------------------Motia---------------موتیا
Ocimum basilicum--------------Niaz bo-------------نیاز بو
Gossypium arboreum------------Cotton/Kpaas--------کپاس

There are many plants that are present in Margalla Hills and Phothaar region that are our native plants and have very pretty flowers that can be grown in gardens but I don’t know their names. As for example in Muree you can see many flowers in spring season that are native to that region
Maryam

Post by Maryam »

A big THANK YOU to Mr. Usman Haq, Mr. M. Arif Khan and Farhan 137 for your invaluable help.

All the best to you gentlemen in all things!
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Maryam wrote:Dear Mr. Farooq,

Thank you so much for your help. I think my constant asking for help has given the impression that I am not doing my homework and am conveniently throwing it on this forum. :-)

Please let me assure you that this is not the case. I have found a lot of information on Google. There is an excellent website of flowers called Flowers of India and I did use it for much of my data collection, but I was on the lookout for a Pakistani website and only seemed to find this one.

If you know of any useful Pakistani links to websites where I can get my required information, I will be grateful if you would share them.

Have a good day.
This forum belongs to everyone and nobody minds your questions. Everybody is here to learn. But when you said that you did search for scientific names for those (common) plants and couldn't find them on Google- left an impression that you are not searching the right keywords. For example if I write Gul mohar +scientiic name, the very first result shows that it is Delonix regia. Also search "Flora of Pakistan" instead of "Flowers of Pakistan" and you will find excellent resources. And if this huge assignment is an academic one, internet should be one of the possible resources not the only one- visit libraries in Karachi University and elsewhere.

Flowers of India is an excellent resource and I had suggested here long time ago to start something for Pakistani flowers as well. Since everyone does gardening as a hobby here rather than as a profession...the amt of time this project requires is huge.
Maryam

Post by Maryam »

M Farooq wrote:This forum belongs to everyone and nobody minds your questions. Everybody is here to learn. But when you said that you did search for scientific names for those (common) plants and couldn't find them on Google- left an impression that you are not searching the right keywords. For example if I write Gul mohar +scientiic name, the very first result shows that it is Delonix regia. Also search "Flora of Pakistan" instead of "Flowers of Pakistan" and you will find excellent resources. And if this huge assignment is an academic one, internet should be one of the possible resources not the only one- visit libraries in Karachi University and elsewhere.

Flowers of India is an excellent resource and I had suggested here long time ago to start something for Pakistani flowers as well. Since everyone does gardening as a hobby here rather than as a profession...the amt of time this project requires is huge.

Thank you for all your advice. I agree that there should be a Pakistani website detailing the flora of our beautiful country. I pray that it happens soon. The assignment wasn't as much huge as it was uncharted territory :-) I am a total layman when it comes to flowers. My flower recognition knowledge does not go beyond the standard Rose, Tube Rose, Gladiola, Carnation, Tulip, Sunflower, Daisy, etc. hence my dilemma.

This forum is a very resourceful place and I wish it all the best!

Return to “Questions and Problems”