Spider mites and miticides! URGENT HELP NEEDED.

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

dragoonsers
City: Karachi

Spider mites and miticides! URGENT HELP NEEDED.

Post by dragoonsers »

As the topic says so. They're every where. Under every leaf. On every plant. I looked up on the internet. Been washing the leaves even the undersides for more than a week but no respite! Please suggest somethin. The only option left is miticide but i read its very very toxic. And the shops at old sabzi mandi khi did not have anything for mites. Please please please help before they kill off everythin! :o
dragoonsers

Re: Spider mites and miticides! URGENT HELP NEEDED.

Post by dragoonsers »

I read they don't like humidity and are washed away. But its not workin. And i fear too much overhead water will result in fungus!
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Hamza, any pesticide will do.. you just need regular sprays every third day in the evening ... remember to spray any adjacent plant or structure.. the humidity nowadays is very low (< 50%).. dont wash your plants with water for initial 15 days of spray...
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

Izhar bhai that's the reason the situation become so worst. I used insecticide. Thing is insecticide doesn't work on mites well because they aren't insects, they're in the spider family. Insecticides kill the insect predators of the mite, and then mites start multiplying.. And yes the low humidity caused the outbreak i guess ..
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

The pesticides will work on anything ..including mammals and fishes.. you are right that these are arachnids and not insects but with regular sprays you can wipe them out.. spider mites are tough pests compared to mealy bugs and scale insects.. BTW which brand are you using?
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

dragoonsers wrote: I used insecticide. Thing is insecticide doesn't work on mites well because they aren't insects, they're in the spider family. Insecticides kill the insect predators of the mite, and then mites start multiplying.. And yes the low humidity caused the outbreak i guess ..
I guess your frustrations with insecticides do carry some weight. Not all insecticides work on spider mites (depending on the chemistry). Also some these mites spin a hydrophobic (water repelling) web around the infected area, the pesticide never reaches them until and unless the spray is thoroughly done wetting the underneath parts of the leaves. Another possible reason is that the some insecticides will not kill the eggs. In short, they are a nusiance. Make sure you are following the recommended dose (not to dilute nor too concentrated) and treating the plants within suggested time intervals.

A reliable resource is at Mannitoba's Horticulture webpage http://www.umanitoba.ca/afs/hort_inquir ... mites.html
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

I was using laser (cypermethrin and dimethoate). Umar uncle recommended imidaclorprid but that too to no avail.

You are correct that insecticides will kill mammals etc but will not kill mites. Thats the info i got on the net .. Dimeth should have some activity from what i read .. Maybe after i switched to imida mites went crazy?

Thank you for the link farooq sb. I will look into it. And yes mites are evil. I can see tiny red and black ones. Today i noticed they're even on my lemon plants!
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Hamza just use Bayer,s OBERON.Its specially manufactured to kill Mites & white fly.spray in the evening between 4-5 pm.repeat another spray after a week & all mites will be finished.Hamza Imidacloprid is for aphids(thela).
Imidacloprid can never kill mites.for details you can see Oberon on google.i am using this product for the last 4 years against mites in Marigolds(mid August)
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

Problem has been solved. Thank you all!:)
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

What did you do Hamza?? plz mention here so others could benefit :)

Return to “Questions and Problems”