Motia/Jasmine/Mogra?

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Motia/Jasmine/Mogra?

Post by rafique »

AOA
I want 1 fragrant motia............... and indian and 1........ with big flowers. i dont know its type just know there are pakistani and indian varities. from whrere in lahore i can get these two varities and at what time it should be planted?
Pls let me know that Motia/Jasmine/Mogra all are different name of same or these are different?
Thanks
Rafique
Rafique
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Re: Motia/Jasmine/Mogra?

Post by khabbab »

rafique wrote:AOA
I want 1 fragrant motia............... and indian and 1........ with big flowers. i dont know its type just know there are pakistani and indian varities. from whrere in lahore i can get these two varities and at what time it should be planted?
Pls let me know that Motia/Jasmine/Mogra all are different name of same or these are different?
Thanks
Rafique
Go to haq nursery at kalma chowk. They have both indian and desi motia. Both are fragrant, you can check difference yourself. Motia, jasmine, mogra all are same names for different varieties if you want fragrant ones.

If you want climbing motia, go to abbas nursery at model town. Price is 60Rs. Flowers is not as fragrant but flower is little bigger.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
rafique

Post by rafique »

thanks alot khabbab
Rafique
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Jasminum sambac (motia) seems to have many varieties when you check the internet nurseries. The largest flowered is called the Grand Duke of Tuscany and the Grand Duke of Tuscany Supreme. The flowers are 1-1.5 inch and 1.5 to 2 inches respectively. I do not know what these varieties are called in Pakistan. Here you can usually find Indian, Lebanese and Pakistani. I never know what is the difference but the Lebanese and Indian are supposed to be more fragrant I hear. Check out the following site for various varieties:

http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropica ... sambac.htm

I was able to get a 4" pot of the Grand Duke. I spent the money since atleast overseas and from online reputable nurseries one knows what they are getting. I bought a Jasminum sambac Malichat from Patoki but since I dont have a bloom yet I dont know if I've been fooled, which is often the case here in Lahore. Hopfully this will change as some nurseries realise I'm a regular customer!
ayub

Post by ayub »

Local name for Grand duke of Tuscany jasmine is Mogra.
Check out this thread on mogra
http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... ?f=6&t=117
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

A well nourished Grand Duke of Tuscany Jasmine (known as Mogra in Karachi) produces 1.5" blooms normally, I have a small plant started as cutting from my friend's shrub.

My Maid of Orleans Jasmine, I dont water or fertilize it, all the water it gets from near by plants which are watered once in three days in summer, I pruned it to 1/4th of the original size three weeks back. Last evening father plucked 83 blooms, she is blooming her heart out!!

rafique

Post by rafique »

Dear Izhar is it frangrant? As discussed on the forum the Mogra is not fragrant one?
Same name here in Lahore or some thing else?
Rafique
ayub

Post by ayub »

wow, what a lovely sight :)
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Rafique, intensely fragrant!! more than a normal motia, as Khabbab bhai intimated "Mogra" in Lahore is a different plant from mogra in Karachi, although nearly all of our jasmine plants come from Punjab.
rafique

Post by rafique »

Thanks Izhar.
Should i search with name of Mogra or Motia?
I think motia is very commonly used name here in lahore.
I am really confused for selection of good variety,having frangrance,abundance of flower and good texture of flowers.
i dont know same plant have all these or not?
Rafique

Return to “Questions and Problems”