Strelitzia reginae Birds of Paradise

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Atiq Ur Rehman
City: Rawalpindi

Strelitzia reginae Birds of Paradise

Post by Atiq Ur Rehman »

Dear All ,

Assalam Alaikum ,i am a new member of this Forum .I have lived in China for 25 years and recently came back to Pakistan for few months before i move to a new assignment in Malaysia .I have been working on developing the Garden of our local community Mosque ,it taking shape slowly but surely and looks good Mashallah .I am keen to know if anyone of the Members can assist me with their experience with Sterlizia Reginae commonly known as Birds of Paradise .Mainly a South African plant with beautiful flowers .Has anyone tried growing this in Rawalpindi /Islamabad .I have seen this in some Nurseries ,would it survive outdoors the harsh Rawalpindi winters .

Wasalam,

Atiq
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Strelitzia reginae Birds of Paradise

Post by M Farooq »

Atiq Ur Rehman wrote:Dear All ,

Assalam Alaikum ,i am a new member of this Forum .I have lived in China for 25 years and recently came back to Pakistan for few months before i move to a new assignment in Malaysia .I have been working on developing the Garden of our local community Mosque ,it taking shape slowly but surely and looks good Mashallah .I am keen to know if anyone of the Members can assist me with their experience with Sterlizia Reginae commonly known as Birds of Paradise .Mainly a South African plant with beautiful flowers .Has anyone tried growing this in Rawalpindi /Islamabad .I have seen this in some Nurseries ,would it survive outdoors the harsh Rawalpindi winters .

Wasalam,

Atiq
Glad to know your efforts for the garden in the mosque. Birds of paradise is a tropical plant and will not survive temperatures < 10 oC. Secondly, how will you prevent wind damage? Or you can insert pots in the ground and remove them when winter starts. Ideally, you can look for more robust indigenous plants and flowering trees. Bauhinia and Jacaranda are amongst the most beautiful flowering trees that do very well in Islmbd and some local flowering vines would be an excellent addition.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

I have tried this tropical beauty at Islamabad/Peshawar/Mardan but it can not survive our harsh winters even under plastic sheets protection.i have tried it so many times but it dies back.it can not even tolerate the slight hint of frost.let me tell you i saw one established plant in front of Rahat Bakery,Blue area.but i am not sure it survived the winters.its better if you visit the bakery in morning time & take some information from their gardener.Farooq sb is very right its a tropical so very little chance it will survive the winters.
Atiq Ur Rehman

Post by Atiq Ur Rehman »

Dear Farooq Sahib and Umar Khan Sahib ,

Assalam Alaikum ,thanks for your comments and advise on Strelitzia Reginae .I agree that the winter temperature would not allow the plant to survive in the ground ,however it may survive in the pots and that too indoors or under shade . I am such a big fan of the lovely flowers and have used these in flower arrangements for many years when i was based in a tropical city.

I am working on some other plants and vines ,hopefully it will work Inhsallah .
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

My Experience is different in Lahore. I do not think there is too much difference in Pindi and Lahore winter. I know we rarely get frost in Lahore but last we had several days with temperatures at night going to zero degrees. All my Birds of paradise (3 in ground and 3-4 in pots) have survived last winter! The ones in the ground even bloomed but the ones in pot haven't!
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Sir do post pictures of your plant i have tried bird of paradise on more than one ocassion they dont do well for me and eventually die. Whenever i plant them the growth stops hardly any new leaves are formed.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Will try to post the pictures tomorrow insha'Allah. However, to tell you the truth the ones in the pot were removed twice from the ground to different spots then finally into pots which were too small and they were totally uncared for (unfed and under watered and forgotten even) BUT they have still survived after 2 years of abuse! Davesgarden also rates it down to Zone 9b so I do not see how it can die in Lahore winter!!! Have you seen it's roots? They are fleshy and do not look like they can be killed easily, if anything in the proper nutritious soil the pups could be a problem. I just put my potted ones in the ground today in a bed which does not recieve much sunlight in winter where I am basically dumping all the potted plants I have extra but dont have the heart to get rid of them.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

You have the same problem with Bird Of Paradise like I have with Brugmansia and their cousins..... :lol:
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I have two, they have survived a winter, non yet bloomed, one got demaged by dog 2 weeks ago but a new leaf is coming out.
Atiq Ur Rehman

Post by Atiq Ur Rehman »

Dear Forum Members ,

It is great to see so many responses on Strelitzia Reginae ,the Lovely Birds of Paradise ,for now i have decided to drop the idea due to the cold weather however i will definitely try again Inshallah .

Wasalam,

Return to “Questions and Problems”