Houseplants leaves turning brown on tips/edges

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

khuram89
City: Faisalabad

Houseplants leaves turning brown on tips/edges

Post by khuram89 »

Hello everybody,

I am from Faisalabad. I am new here and also new in the hobby of gardening.

2 months ago i bought some plants. Now the problem started a week ago. tips/egdes of all the leaves of plant turning brown. like burning. i searced the web and found its because of less humidity. but i think humidity is normal, like around 60%. range in this week is 50-70%. temperature is maximum 20, min 10 degree celcious.

now i am very confused and worried about my plants. anybody can help me why tips are turning brown. any remedy of it. please guide me as i am new in this.

i know name of some plants which i planted and some i don't know.

the plants which i planted at roof with 6" depth of soil bed.
palm.
sehra bail (urdu don't know english name)
raaat ki raani
bugan bail
gardenia

the plants which are in pots/containers whose leaves tips are also turning brown
epipremnum aureum (money plant)
rose plant
purple queen

please help to save my little garden.

thanks and reply awaited.
khuram
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Houseplants leaves turning brown on tips/edges

Post by M Farooq »

Khuram (welcome!), you can actually post pictures and get more definitive replies including for identification purposes.

Regards,
Farooq
khuram89

Post by khuram89 »

Farooq bhai thanks for your reply.

OK i will post pictures tomorrow.

theres one correction, epipremnum aureum (money plant) tips are not turning brown. actually i transferred it from small pot to big, now its growing very slowly. when i bought it. leaf came out in 5-7 days, now leaf comes out in 20-25 days. it is also on the roof but in pillar shade, no direct sunlight. whats the reason of slow growth. will send pic of it also

thanks and regards
khuram
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

khuram89 wrote:Farooq bhai thanks for your reply. theres one correction, epipremnum aureum (money plant) tips are not turning brown. actually i transferred it from small pot to big, now its growing very slowly. when i bought it. leaf came out in 5-7 days, now leaf comes out in 20-25 days. it is also on the roof but in pillar shade, no direct sunlight. whats the reason of slow growth. will send pic of it also- khuram
There is a saying that "A watched kettle never boils"...i.e. if you keep on wishing something to happen... it will take much much longer. :-). Money plants take a relatively long time to adjust in a new pot (in my opinion) and need partial shade. The test to check whether your light levels are appropriate, see if the leaves are turning dark green and the white spots vanishing. If yes, then it needs more sunlight. Also growth in the winter season would be slow.

Regards,

Farooq
khuram89

Post by khuram89 »

here are pictures

Shera bail as per nursery man. planted on both sides

Raat ki raani

Palm tree

Bugan Bail

don't know name

Gardenia

don't know name

Purple Queen almost dead after putting in big pot

don't know name

don't know name

Rose plant

overall loook to see where plants are planted

posted all pictures now please guide me why tips are going brown or burning

Thank you regards
khuram
khuram89

Post by khuram89 »

M Farooq wrote:
khuram89 wrote:Farooq bhai thanks for your reply. theres one correction, epipremnum aureum (money plant) tips are not turning brown. actually i transferred it from small pot to big, now its growing very slowly. when i bought it. leaf came out in 5-7 days, now leaf comes out in 20-25 days. it is also on the roof but in pillar shade, no direct sunlight. whats the reason of slow growth. will send pic of it also- khuram
There is a saying that "A watched kettle never boils"...i.e. if you keep on wishing something to happen... it will take much much longer. :-). Money plants take a relatively long time to adjust in a new pot (in my opinion) and need partial shade. The test to check whether your light levels are appropriate, see if the leaves are turning dark green and the white spots vanishing. If yes, then it needs more sunlight. Also growth in the winter season would be slow.

Regards,

Farooq

Thanks for guiding me. its behind a pillar as you can see in the picture. what do u mean by partial shade.

here are some pics of money plant. some leaves are getting holes too.

Thank you regards
khuram
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Khuram,
A, Term House plant means plants grown in side the house. Yours is a roof top garden.
B, The soil is only 6 inches deep, too shallow for the type of plants. It is cracking which means it requires a lot of soil amender like
Leaf compost (another 6 Inches).
If it doesn't work out, plant annuals on roof top and permanent plants in bigger containers.
Wishing you very happy GARDENING
Arif
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

khuram89 wrote: Thanks for guiding me. its behind a pillar as you can see in the picture. what do u mean by partial shade.
You money plant is quite healthy and the amount of light it is getting is probably enough. The holes are due to pests (beetles, mosquitoes etc), keep an eye on unwanted visitors on the plants. One of the main causes of brown tips is lack of water and of course your soil is bone dry to the entent of cracking. You will have to add some moisture "holder" i.e. manure and water regularly once you feel that the soil is about to dry. Your purple queen and Canna (one in the pot with broken leaves) are quite drought shocked. Also check if that balcony is windy, wind can dry and damage leaves as well.

Just curious: The 1st picture which you are calling is perhaps not Sehra bail (which is Quisqualis indica) but I cannot recgnize it either. It has a green unusual seed. Can anyone identify please?

The plant with red flowers and thorns is Euphorbia.

Regards,
Farooq
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

My guess :
The bail looks to be Golden /Purple Shower, probably also known as Lusson Bail.
The palm in the bed is American Palm.
The other straight stem in the bed is cotton like plant with similar flowers.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

In my opinion, you just have to be patient..!!
water only when the soil surface looks dry, dont water on/wash leaves, add generous amount of compost to your soil or well rotted good manure mix well in the soil..
Your plant selection is a bit inappropriate with respect to the location and their potential size when they grow..
Post the pictures of your plants in the "identification" section and we will identify them for you..

Return to “Questions and Problems”