Luck Bamboo

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

rabia
City: gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Flowering bulbs,Succulents and Cacti,Kitchen gardening,Seasonal flowers ...etc

Luck Bamboo

Post by rabia »

Can anybody give me information about Lucky bamboo or spiral shape bamboo?Is it available for sale in Lahore or Islamabad?
Can it be grown here easily?
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Luck Bamboo

Post by M Farooq »

rabia wrote:Can anybody give me information about Lucky bamboo or spiral shape bamboo?Is it available for sale in Lahore or Islamabad?
What type of information are you looking for this plant? Lucky bamboo is not a true bamboo but looks quite similar. Bamboo (baans in Urdu) belongs to a different plant family. The spiral shape of the stem is made artificially. Lucky bamboo is a popular house plant and grows very easily in water. Survives room light. Not sure of a specific store in Pk but check florists in hotels or malls, they might have spiral stems to sell.

Regards.

Farooq
rabia
Gardening Interests: Flowering bulbs,Succulents and Cacti,Kitchen gardening,Seasonal flowers ...etc

Post by rabia »

M Farooq wrote:
rabia wrote:Can anybody give me information about Lucky bamboo or spiral shape bamboo?Is it available for sale in Lahore or Islamabad?
What type of information are you looking for this plant? Lucky bamboo is not a true bamboo but looks quite similar. Bamboo (baans in Urdu) belongs to a different plant family. The spiral shape of the stem is made artificially. Lucky bamboo is a popular house plant and grows very easily in water. Survives room light. Not sure of a specific store in Pk but check florists in hotels or malls, they might have spiral stems to sell.

Regards.

Farooq
Thank you...actually i wanted to know where is it available in Punjab.Because most of beautiful exotic plants thrive very well in Karachi but dont tolerate temperature variations in Punjab.
And i wouldn't know it was made spiral artificiallty.Thanks for the information :)
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

you can easily get it from Awan garden centre & Green Impex,Ayub market,F-8,Islamabad.i have seen it so many times in these two stores.its not a true bamboo.
haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Post by haris.kabir »

Dear Rabia,
Lucky Bamboo is available at 'Thai Zone' next to Thai flowers on Main Double road, F-10 Markaz, Islamabad.
In Rawalpindi you can find lucky bamboo mostly at interior decor shops in China Market.(as its more of living decor item thn a garden plant!)

Note: Winters, certainly not the best time to get lucky bamboos in pindi/isb region. They hardly survive the cold here.
search for them spring onwards, btw they are available at Thai Zone all year round. That's the place frm whre I get mine.

Happy Gardening !
rabia

Post by rabia »

Thank you Umarkhan and thank you Haris :D :D :D
bilalsahil
City: Karachi.

Post by bilalsahil »

Assalam Alykum, I also want to know the place from where I can get bamboo plant at karachi. kindly someone tell me address?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Nurseries at Korangi road...
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Lucky Bamboos are basically Dracaena. They can be grown in water but is advisable to grow them in pots having ordinary soil

Years back i used to grow them in water but the stems stems inevitably used to turn brown even after a duration of 2 or 3 years placed in waters with all precautions like changing water regularly after 2 weeks. Since the spread of dengue epidemic the sticks were taken out of water vases and placed in a soil pot filled with ordinary soil outdoors in a place having dappled shade (morning sun/shade during afternoon) and they are thriving since then and not even a single stem has turned brown.

If you want to grow them in water only then rainwater would be best. Keeping in mind dengue epidemic consider growing them in ordinary soil.

You can buy the both the varieties (common thin stick variety) and the thicker stem variety known as lotus bamboo in Lahore from either Pride Seeds in Hussein Chowk or Abbas Nursery in Model Town.

Return to “Questions and Problems”