camellia

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Najman
City: Lahore

camellia

Post by Najman »

can we plant camellia in pakistan? if yes, then how and from where i can get it?
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: camellia

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I doubt. Cemeillia is a plant from Tea family. It requires excessive water/rainfall (50 inches/year)and can not tolerate drought. Though our climate/zone is favorable otherwise, but our scorching dry summer are highly unsuitable.....Furthermore it requires Acidic Soil.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

One of my acquaintance is growing Camellia sinensis i.e. tea plant in Karachi.. it grows very slowly here..
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

An old tree is growing in Lawrence gardens lahore named Camellia and i think it is camelia japonica but it must have been planted decades ago. Will check if it flowers here.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Morina
City: Center

Post by Morina »

farhan137 wrote:I doubt. Cemeillia is a plant from Tea family. It requires excessive water/rainfall (50 inches/year)and can not tolerate drought. Though our climate/zone is favorable otherwise, but our scorching dry summer are highly unsuitable.....Furthermore it requires Acidic Soil.
Hi,

the tea plantations grow near the equator very well under the shade of albizias. The tea, that is camellia sinensis, grows very slowly in his first years.
You have a hard climate in your area, but if you like them, perhaps you'll have more luck with varieties ofC. reticulata and C. sasanqua, these two likes more heat and sun. For those which need more warmer, they are the species like C. yuhsienensis, or C. kissii, C. granthamiana , or all the yellow ones recently discovered.
You have to retain that a good established camellia can support some hot and dry, more important is the shade.
If you dispose from enough water, then in the dry period I would give an irrigation system for my camellias. This could be simple water bottles with a drop-by-drop system.
Camellias are so lovely and will be trees with evergreen leaves and very beautiful flowers. There exist even fragrant camellias.
In your case, Najman, I would try it, first with a container for some years before it planting outsides.

@ Mister Khabbab
Could you, please, show this camellia even if there are not flowers? With flowers it would be perfect, but if there aren't, that doesn't matter, because the growth of the plant is also interesting. :)

Good luck!
Morina
Attachments
'Yukimiguruma'
'Yukimiguruma'
'Kokinran Ozonran'
'Kokinran Ozonran'
'Jingle Bells'
'Jingle Bells'
Jingle Bells 2.jpg (71.9 KiB) Viewed 7838 times
Najman

Post by Najman »

Farhan, Izhar, Khabbab and Morina, Thank you all for your responses. jest is that it is hard to plant camellia in our environment , the other day i was researching for something else and i found this, its such a beautiful tree.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Morina....are these from your Garden?
Morina
City: Center

Post by Morina »

Yes, from my house garden, will say they are always in containers because they are too young to plant out.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Lovely....looking forward to your garden long shots
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Some time I wish I was living in a better climatic zone. :mrgreen: