Roof Gardening in Containers in Pakistan

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Hijaab
City: Mississauga

Roof Gardening in Containers in Pakistan

Post by Hijaab »

Asalamualiqum everybody,

I would like to set a Rooftop Garden in my home in Pakistan. As most of the houses are built with similar structures in urban areas, so is my house. The 2nd level of my house is built with rooms, living area, kitchen, bathrooms etc. However, there is plenty of terrace type space available, which I want to decorate with plants.

I would like to hang containers on the grill of the terrace both inside and outside. Place some big Pot/Containers along the corners. So, basically having plants but also giving a decorative and aesthetic look. That been said, I would like your advice.

1. Which fruit trees can I grow in containers and keep them on my roof, somewhere along the terrace wall or the Patio place you can say?
2. Can I grow them RIGHT NOW? Like this weather?
3. Would it be safer to keep fruit trees on the roof? (would not do any bad to the roof?)
4. Can dwarf fruit trees be found in Pakistan?

I am hoping to grow, Peaches, Apricots, Plums and Grape vine.

Any suggestions on how to do best gardening in Pakistan, considering climate.

BTW- I live in Mandi Bahauddin, which is in Punjab, just an hour drive from Jehlum (if that helps figuring out the climate :P )

Thank you so much in advance!
new gardener
City: Karachi

Re: Roof Gardening in Containers in Pakistan

Post by new gardener »

Hijaab wrote:Asalamualiqum everybody,

I would like to set a Rooftop Garden in my home in Pakistan. As most of the houses are built with similar structures in urban areas, so is my house. The 2nd level of my house is built with rooms, living area, kitchen, bathrooms etc. However, there is plenty of terrace type space available, which I want to decorate with plants.

I would like to hang containers on the grill of the terrace both inside and outside. Place some big Pot/Containers along the corners. So, basically having plants but also giving a decorative and aesthetic look. That been said, I would like your advice.

1. Which fruit trees can I grow in containers and keep them on my roof, somewhere along the terrace wall or the Patio place you can say?
2. Can I grow them RIGHT NOW? Like this weather?
3. Would it be safer to keep fruit trees on the roof? (would not do any bad to the roof?)
4. Can dwarf fruit trees be found in Pakistan?

Any suggestions on how to do best gardening in Pakistan, considering climate.

BTW- I live in Mandi Bahauddin, which is in Punjab, just an hour drive from Jehlum (if that helps figuring out the climate :P )

Thank you so much in advance!
thats the same thing i wana do too, but the only difference is i had planted some seeds of Sunflower Okra Tomatoes, Bitter Gourd, Chilies and Cucumber almost 15 days ago and the results are very good till now .. Okra seeds sprouted and going well as well as Cucumber .. Chilies are a bit slow so theirs are just shown coming out of soil bitter gourd is not responding till now and i m planning same as you to set up my garden on roof top as u all know the weather of karachi its too much Sunny these days so when should i let my plants in open sun.
there are so many good planters over here and their opinions are very helpful in this regard.

thanks
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

For terrace you will have to rely on potted plants or a raised bed made of wood. Many things can be tried in containers. By the way what is the exposure of your terrace?
Read this topic for plants suitable for hanging pots. Hanging pots are available ready made in shops as well as you can do a little ingenuity
http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... f=6&t=1778
Which fruit trees can I grow in containers and keep them on my roof, somewhere along the terrace wall or the Patio place you can say?
Mandi is a hot place.
You can try these at the moment. Grapes, Tomatoes, Kumquats, citrus, pineapple.............
Can I grow them RIGHT NOW? Like this weather?
Would it be safer to keep fruit trees on the roof? (would not do any bad to the roof?)
Fruit tree/perennial planting time is either fall or early spring both of which are over. My advice wait for Fall.
Can dwarf fruit trees be found in Pakistan?
Mostly No.
Grape Vine is a better choice with large container.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thats the same thing i wana do too, but the only difference is i had planted some seeds of Sunflower Okra Tomatoes, Bitter Gourd, Chilies and Cucumber almost 15 days ago and the results are very good till now .. Okra seeds sprouted and going well as well as Cucumber .. Chilies are a bit slow so theirs are just shown coming out of soil bitter gourd is not responding till now and i m planning same as you to set up my garden on roof top as u all know the weather of karachi its too much Sunny these days so when should i let my plants in open sun.
there are so many good planters over here and their opinions are very helpful in this regard.
I assume that you started plants in shade. It is really hot now. So gradually acclimatize them to sun by placing them in early morning sun for few days and than gradually increasing the time.

Pots tend to dry out very quickly. If you place them in full sun. Atleast water twice a day.
If possible use green sheet to reduce sun intensity.
Better to place all the plants in partial sun(morning sun from sunrise to 12).
Mulch pots/try to have large pots/with good moisture retaining medium/soil so that they retain moisture.
new gardener
City: Karachi

Post by new gardener »

I assume that you started plants in shade. It is really hot now. So gradually acclimatize them to sun by placing them in early morning sun for few days and than gradually increasing the time.

Pots tend to dry out very quickly. If you place them in full sun. Atleast water twice a day.
If possible use green sheet to reduce sun intensity.
Better to place all the plants in partial sun(morning sun from sunrise to 12).
Mulch pots/try to have large pots/with good moisture retaining medium/soil so that they retain moisture.
thank you so much for advise sir. u r rite i put them in shade most of the time .. as the weather is so hot so i m affaird they can burn if i put them now on the roof. but ur advise is now helfuful for me thanks: )
Hijaab
City: Mississauga

Post by Hijaab »

farhan137 wrote:
For terrace you will have to rely on potted plants or a raised bed made of wood. Many things can be tried in containers. By the way what is the exposure of your terrace?
Read this topic for plants suitable for hanging pots. Hanging pots are available ready made in shops as well as you can do a little ingenuity
http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... f=6&t=1778
Which fruit trees can I grow in containers and keep them on my roof, somewhere along the terrace wall or the Patio place you can say?
Mandi is a hot place.
You can try these at the moment. Grapes, Tomatoes, Kumquats, citrus, pineapple.............
Can I grow them RIGHT NOW? Like this weather?
Would it be safer to keep fruit trees on the roof? (would not do any bad to the roof?)
Fruit tree/perennial planting time is either fall or early spring both of which are over. My advice wait for Fall.
Can dwarf fruit trees be found in Pakistan?
Mostly No.
Grape Vine is a better choice with large container.
Thank you so very much. This is very helpful indeed. Never thought about growing Pineapple.
Sun exposure is like average. On one side, there is roof top, so the sunshine would not come from the top, but from 2 sides. The other is fully exposed to sun from top.
actilla
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

stromectol for osteoporosis

Post by actilla »

<a href=http://stromectol.autos/>stromectol and alcohol</a> d Graphical analysis of different tissue proteins following exposure to Tam, MSM, or the drug combination
accoure

nolvadex powder conversion

Post by accoure »

Having more silica content in your hair may help lessen hair loss <a href=http://nolvadex.one/>nolvadex</a> DNA adducts have been shown in experimental animals for tamoxifen and toremifene 7, 8, 9, 10
Estigue

cant walk after lasix

Post by Estigue »

Or maybe, in self defense, students wrestle a firearm away from the teacher who pulled it <a href=http://lasix.buzz>where can i buy lasix without a prescription</a> Three major articles that made worldwide headlines were published this year 2015 during Breast Cancer Awareness Month October, proving that the ineffective ways women have been cared for is widely known
kilinutle

tamoxifen and cardivascular risk

Post by kilinutle »

<a href=http://nolvadex.best>tamoxifen for sale</a> We only have one battle, and there is no other way, Three years of deep sleep have allowed me to see a world What Does A Furosemide Pill Look Like that I could not peep into before, Most of what does a furosemide pill look like the people were secretly overjoyed, secretly expecting that the next lucky person would be themselves

Return to “Questions and Problems”