Seed sowing

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Seed sowing

Post by Mustansir Billah »

What is the method to sow seeds? Only 25% were of mine able to develop ever since. Pictorial illustration will help a lot if any one can post. Moreover, after sowing it is exposed to sun for how many hours in a day? and If we can give water in bright sun so the soil remains moist? What should be the correct depth of sowing seeds??
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Seed sowing

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

Nowadays green chillies are growing.I have found some hot pepper seeds on net.I want to buy those.But i think these will not germinate now.Am i right? If not now ,then for how long can i save them.I mean can i save them till next season.These seeds, i don't want to miss.Please guide me.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Most seeds remain viable for couple of years. You can save them for next season without any problem in cool, dry place
Mustansir Billah

One thing astonishing I knew that when I seperated the seeds from green chilli and then sowed then it didn't sprout and when I seperated them and kept in the water then sowed even then it didn't sprout. BUT when I accidently threw the halved chilli in to a pot then it sproute. :roll: :shock: :|
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Mustansir Billah wrote:One thing astonishing I knew that when I seperated the seeds from green chilli and then sowed then it didn't sprout and when I seperated them and kept in the water then sowed even then it didn't sprout. BUT when I accidently threw the halved chilli in to a pot then it sproute. :roll: :shock: :|
The seeds grew because they got the time to "ripen" while they were still attached to the chilli. Unripe seeds removed from the fruit will rather not grow!
Mustansir Billah

Some seeds of Datura, Mirabillis and Sunflower teddy bear variety were sowed about 3 weeks ago and I wrapped the pot with plastic sheet as advised and pinched some holes in it for air circulation. Now only one plant of mirabilis have sprouted and the others have not. What could be the reason?
new gardener

Post by new gardener »

i got perfect almost 100% results with my seeds.. i sowed them as advised by the GURUS like one third of the seed size. and just sprinkle some fertilizer over them they all going well except quite few.. the same thing happens to my tomato seeds like u have with ur chilies seed.. i put them to my roof in full sun with all my plants just cover them with net to avoid bird biting other wise no extra care. i had also tried few seeds indoor but no result i got.. rite now my Zinnias are fabulous Sun Flowers Ready to Bloom.. Cucumber and Bottles Gourd starts flowering.. Cosmos going well .. and everything i grow .. i grow with seeds 8-)
Mustansir Billah

I have few question:-
1. How do I know when to remove the polythene bag from the pot as the plastic bag is already have water droplets covered?
2. Is there any other thing which have to be done to seed before sowing?
I am too anxious to have flowering plant from seed.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Mustansir Billah wrote:I have few question:-
1. How do I know when to remove the polythene bag from the pot as the plastic bag is already have water droplets covered?
2. Is there any other thing which have to be done to seed before sowing?
I am too anxious to have flowering plant from seed.
1. You have to check that every day or two by removing the plastic baggie, if the seeds have germinated remove the bag, if not cover the pot again and you have to use a sprayer bottle to spray.. to much water can also kill the seedlings this is called damping off.

2. Prayers for a good start :)

Return to “Questions and Problems”