Worms

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Worms

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I wanted to ask if there would be a harm from the worms (kaichwa in Urdu) to plant in anyway? And does it harms its roots and What is the method of killing them?
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Worms

Post by M Farooq »

Mustansir Billah wrote:I wanted to ask if there would be a harm from the worms (kaichwa in Urdu) to plant in anyway? And does it harms its roots and What is the method of killing them?
Earthworms (kaichwa) are innocent creatures. An excess of earth worms may be harmful in small pots. Please let them live. If you find one or two that fine. If you see plenty in a pot, which is not possible, then simply change the pot soil instead of harming them with pesticides.

Make sure that you are not looking at other larvae which are very harmful...they are not as long as earthworms.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I feed larwa to my javas. :D
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Earth worms are GOOD in soil for many reasons, and not wanted in pots for one reason. The tunnels they form in the pot drains out the water rather fast.
They are harmless to roots as they feed on dead tissues only.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

earthworms are overall beneficial to the soil and the plants, their burrowing enables the turnover of soil preventing compaction aiding drainage and turnover of soil distributing fungi and fertiliser across the roots membranes, they consume detritus.

The problems they can cause is chiefly on grass lawns where the wormcasts left on the grass after rains will encourage the sprouting of lawn weeds into the finely laid fresh soil casts. best way to deal with that is to brush over the grass before the weed seeds get a chance to settle

Many people actually use wormeries to produce a rich compost for their plants. It has been scientifically proven that the water and dead worms if used on chillie plants will encourage the plants to produce hotter more fiery chillies

Return to “Questions and Problems”