Fruit Trees for Lahore

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Bilal
City: Doha
Gardening Interests: Fruit Farming / Kitchen Gardening / Ornamental

Fruit Trees for Lahore

Post by Bilal »

Dear fellas, I was wondering if you could please share your expert opinions on the choice of fruit trees in Lahore. I am thinking about planting something fruity and shady in my future house at DHA.

Please let me know if you have had a successful experience with a certain one.

Cheers
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Fruit Trees for Lahore

Post by M Farooq »

Bilal wrote:Dear fellas, I was wondering if you could please share your expert opinions on the choice of fruit trees in Lahore. I am thinking about planting something fruity and shady in my future house at DHA.

Please let me know if you have had a successful experience with a certain one.

Cheers
Lets rephrase the query: What fruits do you like? You can mention your list of favourite tree and then members can share their experiences.

Regards.
Bilal

Post by Bilal »

hahaa good one. :)

well can I dare to mention the cherry n plum then. know I can only fancy 'em...:)

been thinking about orange, Lychee, not sure if there are any other choices. Looking for something that actually bears fruits in this climate and not remain just a taller bush after years of waiting..
Bilal

Post by Bilal »

What do you think?
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Mulberry, Louqat, Fig, Tamarind, Oranges/Citrus Family,Guava, Grapes, Avocado, Passion fruits, Banana, Mango, Pomegranate.

Fig, Louqat, Grapes and Gauva are quick to fruit as well as Pomegranate. Though Yield will be less.
Lychee has a reasonable chance in my opinion.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Does Coconut palm gives fruit in the weather of Lahore?
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Bilal wrote:hahaa good one. :)

well can I dare to mention the cherry n plum then. know I can only fancy 'em...:)

been thinking about orange, Lychee, not sure if there are any other choices. Looking for something that actually bears fruits in this climate and not remain just a taller bush after years of waiting..
why not try exotics like Jackfruit, Sapodilla. etc. they are all warm climate fruits and will bear here too, they are quite common in Karachi... i have seen a Jackfruit tree in Rawalpindi as well fruiting heavily :)
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Mustansir Billah wrote:Does Coconut palm gives fruit in the weather of Lahore?
Date palm Should
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Tahir Khan wrote:
Bilal wrote:hahaa good one. :)

why not try exotics like Jackfruit, Sapodilla. etc. they are all warm climate fruits and will bear here too, they are quite common in Karachi... i have seen a Jackfruit tree in Rawalpindi as well fruiting heavily :)
As Ghalib said "Aah ko chahiye ek umer asar honay tak" :-) ... Same goes for fruit trees.

I have heard that jackfruit takes a long time to bear fruits, but it is a lovely tree. However chiko is a fast grower. Unfortunately cherry & plum for Lahore might be frustrating trials. Lychee, not sure how well it survive in Lahore. It didn't do well with us in Karachi. If you like of amla or its murrabba (I guess gooseberry) that tree was a major success in Karachi's weather. It is very rich source of vitamin C. You can use it for pickles etc.

What about bair, and jaman, all other fast growing trees. You have plenty of choices as suggested by many peers here.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Cherry and plum will not do as they require tremendous chill hours to flower and fruit which Lahore cannot give, Chikoo is a good option very sweet fruits reminiscent of caramel pudding, Jack fruit will take at least 4-6 years to bear fruit from sapling depending on the variety. Why not give a try to sharifa (custard apple).

Return to “Questions and Problems”