Lizards behind pots and under vines

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Lizards behind pots and under vines

Post by M Farooq »

Tahir Khan wrote:Hard to believe that such an old school trick will ward off lizards, All my elders used to say that this works but never tried... Any logic behind empty egg shells ???
I am curious too...one reason that one website proposed was that by seeing egg shells, lizards (household geckos, not the "go") think that it is an occupied territory (by another lizard)! Seems plausible but who knows??

Khwateen may hate household lizards but the poor animal is innocent and feeds on insects.

"Go" on the other hand is not-so-friendly creature.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

We have been hearing & reading that 'Chibkili'- if this you mean from the household lizard, is extremely poisonous. For this reason-besides being repulsive, it is feared by most. In my house an emergency is declared on seeing one & my son gets deployed with his (air) guns to shoot it down. Request further research.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

munir wrote:We have been hearing & reading that 'Chibkili'- if this you mean from the household lizard, is extremely poisonous. For this reason-besides being repulsive, it is feared by most. In my house an emergency is declared on seeing one & my son gets deployed with his (air) guns to shoot it down. Request further research.
Sir household chup-kalees are harmless. They are not poisonous or have teeth (very very small tho) to bite anyone. I have "played" with them in the sense that we used to catch them and watch them closely (at one time I was inspired enough to study biology hahah, thank God I didn't). My father wouldn't let us harm them by saying that they eat mosquitoes- a most powerful incentive for not harming them :-)

Search household gecko's with yellow abdomen.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

M Farooq wrote:Sir household chup-kalees are harmless. They are not poisonous or have teeth (very very small tho) to bite anyone.
sir small lizards (House hold chipkili)are highly poisonous not in sense of biting but poison which they carry in their body.we often read in newspapers that a family died after drinking milk which was boiled with a chipkli... so they are highly poisonous and dangerous for health especially in kitchen.so they should be treated with trick which is mentioned above..
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Two divergent views have appeared;therefore, the subject needs doing into deeper, to come to a correct & safe conclusion.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

sorry for wrong info...i studied them briefly and come to know that they are not poisonous and not even carry poison in their body.here is a sript from wiki answers.
LIZARD FALLEN BEFORE COOKING IS LESS POISONOUS, WHEREAS FALLEN AFTER COOKING IS MORE POISONOUS.IT CAN CAUSE FOOD POISONING SYMPTOMS PREDOMINANTLY NAUSEA AND VOMITING. HOWEVER DEATH IS VERY RARE.THE LIKELY REASON FOR POISONING IS BY EXCRETA OF LIZARD AND SECRETION FROM SKIN
but strange thing is this that newspapers are continuously giving news of deaths with contaminated milk with house gecko.
so very confusing state it is. :?
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Hamad Ahmed Kisana wrote:sorry for wrong info...i studied them briefly and come to know that they are not poisonous and not even carry poison in their body.here is a sript from wiki answers.
LIZARD FALLEN BEFORE COOKING IS LESS POISONOUS, WHEREAS FALLEN AFTER COOKING IS MORE POISONOUS.IT CAN CAUSE FOOD POISONING SYMPTOMS PREDOMINANTLY NAUSEA AND VOMITING. HOWEVER DEATH IS VERY RARE.THE LIKELY REASON FOR POISONING IS BY EXCRETA OF LIZARD AND SECRETION FROM SKIN
but strange thing is this that newspapers are continuously giving news of deaths with contaminated milk with house gecko.
so very confusing state it is. :?
Unfortunately our local newspapers do spread non sense especially when it comes to science. Two or three years ago Dawn newspaper was publishing "letters to the editor" that shampoos cause cancer citing Wikipedia. When two such letters appeared, I sent a letter to the editor which they fortunately published - the story ended forever.

Of course, when it comes to boiling something inedible it will indeed cause sickness. Simplest instance, lets take ants. If you happen to crush an ant (which we shouldn't) you will see that the liquid produces bubbles on the ground because they contain formic acid. Now formic acid can make a person blind permanently. So if God forbid, someone by sheer foolishness boils a large amount of ants in milk and drinks them - he she may fall really sick because of formic acid. So will be the case with geckos. So don't trust newspaper reports right away :-)
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

M Farooq wrote: Unfortunately our local newspapers do spread non sense especially when it comes to science. ....................

Of course, when it comes to boiling something inedible it will indeed cause sickness. Simplest instance, lets take ants. If you happen to crush an ant (which we shouldn't) you will see that the liquid produces bubbles on the ground because they contain formic acid. Now formic acid can make a person blind permanently. So if God forbid, someone by sheer foolishness boils a large amount of ants in milk and drinks them - he she may fall really sick because of formic acid. So will be the case with geckos. So don't trust newspaper reports right away :-)
Very rightly pointed out. More unfortunate is the fact that many of us start believing in such non-sense without due investigation / research. And as quoted by Farooq sb, if we boil so called non-poisonous insects like flies, ants, caterpillars, cockroaches, beatles etc etc in the milk and consume that milk, it is not going to make us any healthier I can assure you.

House lizards are not dreadful creatures by any means. They are in fact quite useful creatures which very efficiently perform the duty assigned to them in the mini-ecosystems operative in our houses / gardens . You see, every living creature has a purpose of existence. They all have a job to do and less humans (who have a choice to take action as per their will), all of them will keep doing the job that Almighty has assigned to them, without any fail. Almighty has made it a part of their "nature / instinct" as we call it. Collectively they formulate a complicated system of interdependency which makes things happen in this world, smoothly and efficiently. Humans have been ordered in Quran to ponder upon these natural phenomenas as in it "there are signs of wisdom for those who believe". Therefore, we must try to study these aspects and understand the reason behind them. This world has suffered a lot due of lack of understanding of these aspects on part of human beings and will perhaps keep doing so in much bigger magnitude in future. (I am talking of environmental studies as a whole and not precisely in relation to merits / demerits of house lizards).

The number of house lizards in a house will never be disproportionate to the insect population in the house (so is the case with spiders). It will never happen that there are no insects in the house but lot of lizards. When the insect population will deteriorate, they will automatically migrate to some other place or die and vice versa. Of course we should not allow lizards rather any kind of insects inside the kitchen, whatsoever, but there is a difference in kitchen and a courtyard / veranda which has many plants in the ground / pots. Those plants will attract insects, insects will attract lizards / insect eating birds etc, so on and so forth. Together they will form a mini-ecosystem and we should except it that way and try to learn from it.

Large size lizards will seldom enter houses in the cities but in suburbs or areas close to plantations, they can be there and are dangerous for pet birds / their eggs. However, unless cornered or given no other option, they will seldom attack humans.

regards
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

Never thought this simple question will generate an interesting discussion...Its good ..
Now I agree that household lizards eat insects .. My problem is that my wife waters the pots and looks after vines on daily basis. She, like most of other women, cant go near lizards .. She quotes an incident that one person died in hospital because of lizards bite. This was narrated by her friend's husband who was also admitted in that hospital. I am still not sure if it is true.. Now this is not my problem....
My problem is that if there are lizards near pots and vines my wife will not go near them. If she does not go near plants she will not water and maintain them. If she is not doing it then I will have to do it ... This is the problem .. mere akele ke bus ke baat naheen, particularly in month of ramzan ... that is why I need to do some thing about it... :(
I ll try that eggs empty shells totka .. lets see how it goes .. Thanks for detailed response...
But keep discussing the topic till we reach some consensus ....
Javed Ashraf.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

jdashraf wrote:Never thought this simple question will generate an interesting discussion...Its good ..
Now I agree that household lizards eat insects .. My problem is that my wife waters the pots and looks after vines on daily basis. She, like most of other women, cant go near lizards .. She quotes an incident that one person died in hospital because of lizards bite. This was narrated by her friend's husband who was also admitted in that hospital. I am still not sure if it is true.. Now this is not my problem....
My problem is that if there are lizards near pots and vines my wife will not go near them. If she does not go near plants she will not water and maintain them. If she is not doing it then I will have to do it ... This is the problem .. mere akele ke bus ke baat naheen, particularly in month of ramzan ... that is why I need to do some thing about it... :(
I ll try that eggs empty shells totka .. lets see how it goes .. Thanks for detailed response...
But keep discussing the topic till we reach some consensus ....
So that is the real problem that nobody is willing to water the plants if lizards are present!!

Just for the sake of accuracy the household gecko cannot bite, as I said earlier, I have seen the mouth parts of geckos and their "teeth" are just like a rough surface, very much like a nail cutter's filing tool.

KBW shb also likes nature and I was lucky to live very close to nature as well. Our house in the university was very close to a so called "jungle" and guess what? All dreadful creatures were occasionally encountered - snakes, dreadful spiders, centipedes, ant-eaters, gir-git, go, uromatrix (saanda) etc. Most of them don't say anything as long as we don't annoy them - except those which are known to be noxious. With two or three close encounters with baby snakes and scorpions, God has saved me so many times! One day there was a black insect (like a large ant) walking on the floor at night. I was about to hold it with hands but then I realized lets use a bottle to catch it didn't look like an ant. Bingo, it turned out to be a medium sized black scorpion which had curled itself to look smaller with full fledged sting :-(.

So my idea is that we should be careful with animals but not fear them until and unless they are really bad like scorpions and snakes.

Return to “Questions and Problems”