what to seed for next season?

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

mahira
City: karachi

what to seed for next season?

Post by mahira »

assalam o alaikum all.. i did my first experiment with zinnias this season.. and Alhamdullilah almost all seeds gave me 100% output.. though they were small in size unlike the ones that i saw at nurseries n parks.. i tried cutting off the first flowers as advised but the next ones were the same size as well.. my zinnias are still blooming and they were the quickest of all seeds to germinate that i sowed.. but i guess their season is ending.. so i want to ask you to help me what to sow for next season.. by the way i live in karachi n my gardening space receives full n direct sun.. so advise me something that is heat tolerant..i tried sunflower seeds too last season.. big n dwarf both and vinca..but not even one seed germinated.. i dont know where i went wrong.. i planted almost 3 packets of portulaca.. and finally finally 4 seeds germinated.. can u believe it? but well im glad to get some result.. and is this the marigold sowing season?.. i tried marigold 1 month back.. but it did not germinate either.. i have some seeds left so i was wondering if i can sow them now??.. i sowed gaillardia too.. and 1 got a plant .. and i searched pictures.. mine did u like the ones in pictures.. but it hasn't flowered yet..it's been 2 months now.. wonder if it is actually gaillardia or weed :P so well please tell me what to sow for next season here in karachi.. and flowering n nonflowering both..and any permenant plants that i can sow this season :)
new gardener
City: Karachi

Re: what to seed for next season?

Post by new gardener »

Good Question Same thing i wondering.. lets wait for the Gurus answer
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

mahira wrote:i dont know where i went wrong.. i planted almost 3 packets of portulaca.. and finally finally 4 seeds germinated.. can u believe it?
not a good sign that only 4 seeds germinated perhaps you are doing mistakes while sowing seeds.portulaca seeds are very small so they need care to sow them.what is your method of sprinkling water.perhaps you water with pipe hose and your seeds are dispersed.second are you using peat moss or coco peat to sprinkle over seeds or not ?.a thin layer of coco peat over small seeds like portulaca keeps them moist and at their place so if not then use coco peat it is easily available at seed stores.
mahira wrote:and is this the marigold sowing season?.. i tried marigold 1 month back.. but it did not germinate either..
very strange because marigold are hardiest seeds they can germinate easily.it seems that your seeds are not viable.where from you got seeds of marigold ? if they are self collected then check their viability by breaking a seed if there is a whitish and hard stuff in the seed then it is live and if inner stuff of seed is yellowish and lanky then it is no more viable.for good results cover seeds with coco peat or if not available then with a thin layer of sand can be used.
now a days you can sow cocks comb and both types of marigold(African and french) although wait few more days.weather of august is ideal for them.
mahira

Post by mahira »

aoa thanx hammad for suggestion.. use the common soil n fertilizer that the nursery wala has.. ill try to ask the seed shop for cocopeat if they have it. and i get seeds from a local seed shop that i have near to my house . they are sealed packets so i dont know how old they are. they have no expiry .. as for portulaca they might have dispersed i water with container
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

mahira wrote:assalam o alaikum all.. i did my first experiment with zinnias this season.. and Alhamdullilah almost all seeds gave me 100% output.. though they were small in size unlike the ones that i saw at nurseries n parks.. i tried cutting off the first flowers as advised but the next ones were the same size as well.. my zinnias are still blooming and they were the quickest of all seeds to germinate that i sowed.. but i guess their season is ending.. so i want to ask you to help me what to sow for next season.. by the way i live in karachi n my gardening space receives full n direct sun.. so advise me something that is heat tolerant..i tried sunflower seeds too last season.. big n dwarf both and vinca..but not even one seed germinated.. i dont know where i went wrong.. i planted almost 3 packets of portulaca.. and finally finally 4 seeds germinated.. can u believe it? but well im glad to get some result.. and is this the marigold sowing season?.. i tried marigold 1 month back.. but it did not germinate either.. i have some seeds left so i was wondering if i can sow them now??.. i sowed gaillardia too.. and 1 got a plant .. and i searched pictures.. mine did u like the ones in pictures.. but it hasn't flowered yet..it's been 2 months now.. wonder if it is actually gaillardia or weed :P so well please tell me what to sow for next season here in karachi.. and flowering n nonflowering both..and any permenant plants that i can sow this season :)
Your first query about zinnias, in my experience the taller zinnias..Non-hybrid ones will not perform if they are pinched, if you pinch it the plant will have smaller flowers and the plant will be lanky...But if you don't pinch it it will grow one big bloom 4-5 inches across and will also produce additional larger blooms from lateral branches. Zinnia will bloom in one month from direct sowing... Zinnia season is over now as monsoon is here so it is futile to sow seeds now.

Secondly the seeds you sowed may not be viable or they were not sown in the correct medium like coco coir or compost...Always buy from a reputed seed shop and not any Pansar or Karyana store.

African marigold can be sown now, i would recommend Inca series for best performance, sow them now for fall blooms.

For next season sowing the season for cool season plants will start from October in Punjab, it may be a bit late for Karachi depending on the weather.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Mari gold Inca is best choice rightly said by Tahir.
Sharjeel39
Gardening Interests: I just getting my interest over gardening but still an immature for gardening knowledge and skills.

Post by Sharjeel39 »

Can i sow any flowering plant in this season, please advice me some nice fragrant flower.
I like perennials for they long living life, but since i am new to gardening i would like to experiment any annual too.

Considering my house, the plants will not get much sunlight, by this i mean no direct sunlight, but the area is well illuminated.
Expoppire
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

lactobacillus and doxycycline

Post by Expoppire »

More specific signs of hemorrhage depend on the location of the hemorrhage but may include bruising, distention and or discoloration of the abdomen, and coolness of isolated limbs. <a href=http://buydoxycyclineon.com/>how to take doxycycline</a> Well, at least we do not have any one in God is Domain that can compete with the Bull Demon Clan Chief.
actilla

stromectol tabletten kaufen rezeptfrei

Post by actilla »

Tumor specific features that may be suspicious for an inherited predisposition or modify individual cancer risk predictions <a href=https://stromectol.autos/>achat stromectol</a>
accoure

tamoxifen endometrium radiology

Post by accoure »

More than 100, 000 people have visited the blog since then, he said, including some who questioned his calculations and prompted him to post a couple of clarifications <a href=http://nolvadex.one/>long term side effects of tamoxifen</a> CAMOYTE POR EL VALOR DE 42 por receta dispensada a partir del 01 10 2008

Return to “Questions and Problems”