grass in flowering beds

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

grass in flowering beds

Post by Hamad »

how to get rid of grass permanently from flowering beds, as they are always a trouble for Mali and it consume a lot of time and specially nowadays the grass grow crazy and it ruin the look of flowering beds, if some one can guide me or give me some good tips to get rid of that grass on permanent basis.

thanks in anticipation.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: grass in flowering beds

Post by aykhan »

There is really only one way. Landscaping fabric. You place it in the beds and then cover it with mulch to hide it. It is porous so water drains well. You cannot do godi then so most effective for beds with established plants not requiring godi. Don't know if this is available in Pakistan and if it is even cost effective. The other option is using plastic sheets.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Godi is the best option.i usually hire some labor other than mali.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

AY Khan sb
I was also on the same page thought to laid plastic sheet but I was thinking if it effect the soil condition underneath, I think I have to try this on a bed on experimental basis.

Umar Khan
I m practising the same thing even though the grass grow back very quickly specially in barsat like nowadays and ruin the whole look of the flowering bed and flowers but one question Umar, is there any medicine that we can use to burn the grass (permanently) only

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

It is very frustrating. I am actually fedup with just maintaining the lawn. I have one mali coming in the morning for an hour or so and one in the evening. Still I can't get the lawn the way I want. Usually just watering and cleaning the leaves takes up their time and beds often get neglected. I have even lost many precious plants because they got neglected.

The plastic sheet you place should have mulch on top and not bhal since weed will grow in the bhal again. It might be better to punch holes in the plastic so you can water. Plastic is effective usually when there are established plants which don't require water. For plants which require water but not necessarily godi the landscape fabric is best.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

It is very frustrating. I am actually fed-up with just maintaining the lawn. I have one mali coming in the morning for an hour or so and one in the evening. Still I can't get the lawn the way I want. Usually just watering and cleaning the leaves takes up their time and beds often get neglected. I have even lost many precious plants because they got neglected.

The plastic sheet you place should have mulch on top and not bhal since weed will grow in the bhal again. It might be better to punch holes in the plastic so you can water. Plastic is effective usually when there are established plants which don't require water. For plants which require water but not necessarily godi the landscape fabric is best.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

aykhan wrote:It is very frustrating. I am actually fed-up with just maintaining the lawn. I have one mali coming in the morning for an hour or so and one in the evening. Still I can't get the lawn the way I want. Usually just watering and cleaning the leaves takes up their time and beds often get neglected. I have even lost many precious plants because they got neglected.

I m not sure if landscape fabric is available in RWL/ISL or not but can we use thick green sheet (very closely knitted not the usual green sheet) instead?

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I totally agree. Any fabric which drains water and does not decompose should work fine. If its black it will not show either.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Another option can be bajri or the white marble chips. Again, godi will not be an option after this.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Thank you appreciate your participation and tips

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Questions and Problems”