Plumeria grafting...

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Plumeria grafting...

Post by aykhan »

I got a somewhat rarer plumeria cutting called Bill Moragne and it is supposedly very tough to root. Any plumeria grafting experts in Lahore? :D If not then any idea where I can get rootstock for attempting my own hand at grafting.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Plumeria grafting...

Post by mikhurram »

The current month is not ideal for grafting owning to moisture. Better to wait till September. You can use the desi plumeria as the the base plant. Cut any branches of the desi plumeria and they root quickly once put in a pot with soil after 2-3 weeks. Or you can can have some rootstock of the desi plumeria from me. Grafting is easy and I have a post on how to graft in knowledge hub section.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

The more thicker the size of the scion the better chances for the scion graft to be successful. The thickness of the scion should be atleast 1/2 inch.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Shouldn't the thickness of both be the same for proper alignment?
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

If the thickness is same then greater the chances that the sap from rootstock stem may burst. The important consideration is that the diameter of the scion should be at-least 1/2 inches thick. There is another important point regarding the types of Desi or local Plumeria to be used as a rootstock. One amongst the Desi Plumeria is a deciduous variety and the other variety is evergreen. The evergreen variety has round leaves and the deciduous variety has long pointed leaves.
It is important to ensure if the scion is of a deciduous variety then the rootstock preferably should also be of deciduous type. Likewise if the scion is of an evergreen variety then the rootstock should also be of evergreen variety.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Better to wait till 15th of September if you are planning to graft.

Return to “Questions and Problems”