Kitchen Gardening-Growing Veggies

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Mrs. Farooq Ahmed
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: I m interested 2 grow Dhaniya /Podina, Salad Pattay /Onion /Tomatoes, Cucumber etc at home.

Kitchen Gardening-Growing Veggies

Post by Mrs. Farooq Ahmed »

As'salam'O'alykum,

I am new here & I m very much interested to grow grapes, Tomatoes & other all salads at home in container of different sizes would you be kind enough to guide for any online book or website in urdu where I can get details for growing all these or if any expert can advice me here? I know about watering / soiling ./ pruning etc very well but confused about seeding like how to seed tomatoes & Salad Patta & grapes.. .

Regards
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: Kitchen Gardening-Growing Veggies

Post by Mustansir Billah »

You can grow tomatoes, potatoes and other salads and many more in Karachi as the season of planting is starting. But you can not grow Grapes over here because it needs chill atmosphere to grow and bear fruits. Although I have seen it in Karachi but never seen it fruiting or producing any blooms and it always looks dormant.
First of all take 6 to 7 inch container as it is best for seeding.
1. fill the container with 70% bhal sand and 30% manure(mixed).
2. Spread five to 6 seeds in that container. You can get seeds from tomato or others. But few of these will not be available in that herb like onion so, you need to buy them from the shop in front of askari park or other seed store.
3. After spreading the seeds cover them with a thin layer of manure (double the thickness of seed).
4. Water it then with care or the seeds will drown or you can water it in the beginning.
5. cover the pot with a plastic sheet such that there is no space for escaping of water vapours.
6. When the seeds have sprouted uncover the plastic sheet.
Mrs. Farooq Ahmed
Gardening Interests: I m interested 2 grow Dhaniya /Podina, Salad Pattay /Onion /Tomatoes, Cucumber etc at home.

Post by Mrs. Farooq Ahmed »

Sir Thank you for your response, as i remember my late father used to make Paneeri sort of thing for growing tomtoes, he has passed away last year (I got married early 2013, 4months after my father's death) tell me is it somthing importent to make paneeri first for tomatoes & how? if not then is it ok if I use normal seeds of tomatoes that I buy from market for making Salan. Also how to grow lemon & Salad leaves? Plz guide
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

You can purchase seeds from veggie seed vendors mentioned numerous times in forum.
You can experiment sowing seeds, meanwhile get hold of some veggie seedlings also for a kick start.
Normal seeds won't work for tomatoes.
You can buy lemon plant from nursery, however it will take some time before it is able to give reasonable harvest.
For salad leaves you can attempt seed sowing
For tomato and salad buy seeds, put some compost/bhal in a pot and place seeds on a surface. cover the seeds lightly. Water generously for the first time and lightly in subsequent watering.....update how it goes
Mustansir Billah

Mrs. Farooq Ahmed wrote:Sir Thank you for your response, as i remember my late father used to make Paneeri sort of thing for growing tomtoes, he has passed away last year (I got married early 2013, 4months after my father's death) tell me is it somthing importent to make paneeri first for tomatoes & how? if not then is it ok if I use normal seeds of tomatoes that I buy from market for making Salan. Also how to grow lemon & Salad leaves? Plz guide
If you want to grow lemon from seed it will take atleast 4 to 5 years to give fruit so, it is better to take prepaired plant from nursery which will cost about 100 to 150Rs. And for salad you can sow seeds as said by Farhan sb.
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

I sowed some seeds of salad ten days ago but still not a single seed has sprouted.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

farah fayyaz wrote:I sowed some seeds of salad ten days ago but still not a single seed has sprouted.
Maybe the seeds weren't viable, what medium did you sowed the seeds in ?? compost ?
Mustansir Billah

farah fayyaz wrote:I sowed some seeds of salad ten days ago but still not a single seed has sprouted.
Maybe watering would have drowned the seeds. This happened to me also then started watering it through drainage holes.
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

In soil and in ghee kanastar. Watered with spray bottle.
Mustansir Billah

Any type of insect may have eaten or damaged the seeds. Wait for few more days sometime seeds sprout late.

Return to “Questions and Problems”