Container gardening Question

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Container gardening Question

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I have seen pots in scorching sun in nurseries and they are not even harm by the sun e.g I have seen roses blooming and growing at normal rate in nurseries in scorching sun in summer season and they are also in small pots all round the year but do great. Another example is that the plants in pots which are newly sprouted does great in nurseries and does not die with blazing sun but in Home if we plant same type of plant they die due to sudden heat attack. Why? Is it due to placing pots to close to each other?
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Container gardening Question

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Simply because they water those small clay pots frequently.Keep in mind they are selling those plants.Nurseries are not gardens.They are doing simply the job like the fruit sellers.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

There could be many reasons:-
But first of all...if you happen to have a shop....what would you keep on the display? ofcourse the better ones. The poor/ordinary things will get a place at the back/store :-). Infact if you go little deeper into nurseries you will find awful plants. I am yet to see a nursery with healthy plants...most of them give a look as if plants are not happy. They display on the front which is on bloom, mostly annuals and seedlings.

Secondly we must keep in mind that its their job so they know some tricks of the trade. Frequent watering, green houses, high humidity, close placement are some other reasons.
Most plants on display have arrived recently and will be either sold or become of ill health shortly. They also used clay soil mostly to retain moisture.
Mustansir Billah

JazakAllah Umar sb. and Farhan sb. Beside I also water plants frequently but did not have that type of results. Do they also water in sun?
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Mustansir Billah wrote:JazakAllah Umar sb. and Farhan sb. Beside I also water plants frequently but did not have that type of results. Do they also water in sun?
The containers of nurseries are mostly placed on soil instead of solid floor like ours, so they dont need to water in sun and watering the plants in sun is never recommended.
Rafique
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I have found them to be watering in the morning. Occasional misting and then in late afternoon that is around 3-4. Reason behind that some water is also evaporated and do not make conditions soggy
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

All nurseries have shade, partial shade and no shade areas utilised according to their requirement, the plants are also watered, sprayed and misted accordingly. As Is pointed out above only plants in good condition & bloom and customer catchers are kept at prominent places.
Mustansir Billah

JazakAllah to all respected members. If I place a tray under the pots will it help? With What should I fill the tray soil or Water or any other thing?

Return to “Questions and Problems”