Growing Mushroom

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

marif
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Kitchen Gardening, all seasonal Vegetables and herbs.

Re: Growing Mushroom

Post by marif »

Assalam-Aliakum Munir Sahib.
I have been doing a little on my Mushroom project and I had a little success as well. I have met with Dr Iqbal at NARC, who is handling Mushoom project there. also I hv met with Rao Tariq Sahib who is growing Mushroom commercially in Islamabad chk shazad farm. I hv purchased few bags of Oster and Button Mushroom medium, from Dr Iqbal (NARC) and kept in a shaded area at my place, did harvest two three times as well so far.
As I have mentioned earlier that Kitchen Gardening is my hobby and I do have only my weekends, which I can spare for this, even for this I have to face a strong opposition of my wife and kids. :-))) I grow only vegetables and herbs and try to use them in our kitchen. These days I am planting onion seedlings :-))) I love to do all work from hoeing to planting with my own hands...
Thank you for your message Munir Sahib.
Regards
Arif
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Commendable!
saad0415
City: karachi
Gardening Interests: Growing mushrooms & cacti

Post by saad0415 »

Munir wrote:I happened to grow Oyster mushrooms 2 years back,quite successfully.It was a great experience.
It is easy to grow Oyster Mushrooms & recommended for the starter. I used Cotton waste for the medium,which I would have recommended if you had asked earlier.Sterlization of the medium is a must;hope you have made arrangements for it. I don't think the spawn would be available locally,but you can get it from Agriculture University Faisalabad.I can tell you the contacts who could help.We can discuss more details on tel; if interested please contact through PM.
Mr. Munir I'm a student & trying to obtain Oyster mushroom spawns here in karachi but it doesn't seem like i will find them. Can you plz kindly some how arrange them or tell me where to get them from or contact numbers of someone who can provide please? I need them for my university project. I'll be waiting patiently for your reply. Thank you
fayyazarif
City: sargodha
Gardening Interests: seasonal flowers, landscaping and mushroom cultivation

Post by fayyazarif »

Assalamoalaikum
I am fayyaz arif and i grow mushrooms as a hobby since last 11 years. Any one interested in growing button mushroom, oyster mushrooms,king oyster mushrooms and milky mushroom is most welcome to ask me growing techniques of above mentioned mushroom. It will be my pleasure to share knowledge in order to decrease protein deficiency in pakistan.
fayyazarif

Post by fayyazarif »

Assalamoalaikum
I am fayyaz arif and i grow mushroom as a hobby since last 11 years. If any one is interested in growing button mushrooms,oyster mushrooms, king oyster mushrooms, milky mushroom i can guide him on complete process in setting up of a mushroom house and growing techniques of above mentioned mushrooms.
Unfotunately i have found people involved in mushroom cultivation very conservative in sharing knowledge. I think one must share the knowledge which he has attained before he dies as it will become sadqa e jaria for him.
lets share knowledge on mushroom cultivation as pakistan has a big potential in mushroom prodution due to diverse climate and easy and cheap availabilty of composting materials like wheat straw, cotton waste, paddy straw, chicken manure, corn cobs and sugarcane baggasse. I would say that we are unfortunate that despite above mentioned advantages we have still not exploited them and our nation is suffering from protein deficiency. lets join hands and work togather in nation building by promoting mushroom cultivat
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

fayyazairf, kindly guide us how to grow oyster mushrooms in home for personal consumption.. It would be better if you can post pictures of the materials used along with the whole set-up..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Izhar wrote:fayyazairf, kindly guide us how to grow oyster mushrooms in home for personal consumption.. It would be better if you can post pictures of the materials used along with the whole set-up..
Yes a complete guide would be a real contribution.
Thanks
fayyazarif

Post by fayyazarif »

assalamoalaikum
i am pasting a link
http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/AB497E/ab497e07.htm
please read it. It will give u a general guideline as to how mushrooms are grown. the article is with step by step pictures.
once u read this then i will let u know the growing technique of oyster mushroom on wheat straw in pakistan
hope u will enjoy reading
regards
fayyaz arif
fayyazarif

Post by fayyazarif »

aoa after reading the link i think u will now be able to understand mushroom language and i do hope so that u r now acquainted with steps involve in mushroom cultivation
now lets talk how can we grow oyster mushroom.in pakistan. if u dedicate a small room of 6x6 feet, u cangiftg oyster mushroom to around more than 100 plus friends as its bio efficiency is excellent i.e 1 kg dry wheat straw will give u 1 kg of fresh oyster mushroom.

material required
1. wheat straw - 100 kgs
2- bujha hua chona - 2 kg
3- wheat bran - chokar - 3 kg
process of making compost
thoroughly wet wheat straw with water so that wheat straw get saturated with water, please ensure moisture in wheat straw becomes homogenous. let wheat straw to remain in this condition for 4-5 hours. now let extra water to drain. mix chona in water and sprinkle it over wheat straw, again ensure that lime water is homogenously muxed in wheat straw. now make a heap of wheat straw as high as possible and cover it with transparent polythene without any hole in it. place some brick or stone on polythene on floor to make heap sort of air tight. let heap lie in same position for 3 days. on 4th day remove polythene and spread wheat straw and sprinkle chokar on it, again ensure homogenity. again make a heap and cover it with polythene for three more days. remove poluthene after three days and tilt and spread compost. now check the moisture through hand squeeze method. in hand squeeze method take handful of compost in ur right hand and leftees to take in their left hand. now squeeze ur hand with full power, if ur palm gets wet and u observe no droplets trying to ooze out from ur fingervpires it means that compostvhas acquired 70 percent mousture. if moisture is less then add water and if it is more spread compost and allow it to dry till mousture reaches 70 percent of moisture. now ur compost is ready. we are now ready to move to sterlization stage
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Nice sharing, now waiting for sterilizing... please do mention how to ensure good sterilization at home...

I will be receiving ready-to-grow bags of Oyster mushrooms by November 1st week, I have a basement in my home and I will be dedicating a corner for mushroom growing...

I want to multiply my mushrooms, how is this possible at home??

Return to “Questions and Problems”