Experimenting on Hyacinth

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Experimenting on Hyacinth

Post by Hamad »

This winter I placed some Hyacinth in glasses, yes I mean glasses not vases but my question is not with regards to glasses as I m just experimenting with glass its not something serious but my question is for Hyacinth itself, few of Hyacinth didn't send their roots into the water but the bulb is not dead and is showing green tip and about to sprout but no roots yet and its been more than few weeks.

In the following pics if you compare the two Hyacinth, they were placed in the glass at the same time but the difference is clear.

why?

following is the one with good results

and this one has no roots at all

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: Experimenting on Hyacinth

Post by Mustansir Billah »

No roots but still sprouting. :o I thought that bulb develops roots then shoot. ;) 8-)
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Mustansir Billah wrote:No roots but still sprouting. :o I thought that bulb develops root then shoot. ;) 8-)
not necessarily Mustansir, observe when we store bulbs in their dormant time and when their time arrives they break their dormancy and start sprouting without roots in storage even if they are not planted yet

but in above case its been few weeks they are placed on the glass and till now they were meant to have roots but nothing yet, they may take some more time but surprisingly one bulb has send its roots and growing very quick and the rest no new yet, but their green tip means they are not dead.

Question is, is there any particular reason or is there any trick to make them start growing roots, or eventually they will?

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

I don't know the reason, but have a hunch that the gap between water surface & the bulb base may be more than the other one which has grown roots. Reduce the gap so that the bulb base is just above the water, then 'wait & see'.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

It happens some times with normal healthy bulbs... the necessary hormone to elongate the roots will not be in sufficient quantity (which can be due to any external or internal factor like sudden change in temperature or internal rotting)... it happens in dahlia, caladium too, even if they are planted in soil.. but i also second Munir sb. point of view.. the roots will sprout eventually inshaAllah...
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Thank you Munir sb and Izhar sb, fingers crossed and waiting anxiously for the roots, shoots and flowers.

will update with the progress InshAllah.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Questions and Problems”