Lemon tree for the rescue

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

FarahAkhtar
City: Multan
Gardening Interests: Kitchen gardening, Organic gardening, Garden design

Lemon tree for the rescue

Post by FarahAkhtar »

AoA all
I am very worried about a lemon tree we have almost destroyed in our yard. It was at least 8 years old and we had been getting good yield of beautiful lemons for several years now. However, we have a mango tree right next to it, 2 3 feet away, that has grown so large it blocks most of direct sunlight that lemon tree used to get. It still gave some yield. Now, we had a bit of construction to be done and the builders thought the lemon tree was getting in their way (which it really wasnt I am sure). They were allowed to prune it but (sadly for absence of someone qualified or interested at the time), they cut it cruelly down to a few bare branches. Ever since, it has been at least three months and even in spring now, it hasnt sprouted much. I observed that there werea few branches that sprouted but then they grow only as long as a foot and then sloly drycompletely yellow and fell. The last branch (lowest and closest to trunk) has also started to dry out and yellow and no more growth to be seen now. I fear it's the shade of the mango tree and the fact that we never fertilized our soil near there. Can you please gimme ideas for the rescue of our dearest lemom tree? I will try to post pictures too. Repotting may be possible but the roots will definitely be damaged as it was a full grown tree. Thanks for your ideas in advance.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: Lemon tree for the rescue

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Please post pictures for better assumption of problem. but in my opinion the season for pruning lemon tree was not correct wait for some time and it will produce branches. But when there is a light problem they never die like that and produces lanky branches in search of sunlight.
FarahAkhtar

Post by FarahAkhtar »

Here is a picture of the lemon thee in almost the best Iight it gets during the day. Shown is the last green branch it has had for many days now.
Attachments
LemonTree.jpeg
LemonTree.jpeg (28.44 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
FarahAkhtar

Post by FarahAkhtar »

Somehow the picture got rotated on upload. Something to do with my mobile interface. Hope it still works.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

its definitely alive....take good care of this last branch, till it makes some new, sunlight is very in adequate, it will never grow well in this exposure.
Mustansir Billah

Is it still in that place? See closely that if there are yellow droplets on branches? Reduce watering to every 4th day but water deeply.
FarahAkhtar

Post by FarahAkhtar »

No there arent any droplet like yellow spots. And yes, it's still in the same place. Should I think of transplanting it? I'll water more and hoe. Let's see what that does in a while.
FarahAkhtar

Post by FarahAkhtar »

Note that we dont water it much because this area is generally rather wet because it is near one of the taps. Even though it isnt always flooded, it never dries put too much either as can be seen in the picture.
Mustansir Billah

Do not transplant it now but transplant in May...

Return to “Questions and Problems”