Question

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

muhammadimran7
City: rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: growing from seeds

Question

Post by muhammadimran7 »

what is difference between the seed packets marked as F1 and one which is not marked as F1. for example " Pansy F1 super hybrid Mix flower seeds" and "Pansy summer mix flower seeds"
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Question

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Go through old post & you will get the answer.You may also get your answer on the Wikipedia. There is also a double cross F-2.F-1 is a single cross.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

I have noticed that some members pose a question without searching the forum or web from where the answer can be obtained instantaneously. Questions should be asked if an answer cannot be found easily from the forum search tab or the search engines.

As for the query the answer lies in the example listed in the question.
by muhammadimran7 » March 25th, 2014, 9:16 pm

what is difference between the seed packets marked as F1 and one which is not marked as F1. for example " Pansy F1 super hybrid Mix flower seeds" and "Pansy summer mix flower seeds"
muhammadimran7

Post by muhammadimran7 »

Umar sb i just wanted to know that if the seed packet is not entitled as "F1" then its mean second generation can be obtained through saved seeds.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Most seeds available locally at seed shops should be F-1 , even if not mentioned on the packets, depends on the specie as well. F-1 means first filial generation thereby the seeds have been obtained through a hybrid plant and will come true(identical to the parent), now when you collect seeds from plant grown from F-1 seeds, such future offsprings will be F-2 and will revert to one of the initial parent thereby "some what ordinary". Some plants come true from seeds, you can call them heirloom. F-2 indicates lower quality but again some plants retain good features to be grown as F-2 and are sold commercially.

As far as your example is concerned most probably pansy seeds of both the packets would be F-1, as F-2 seeds of pansy are not worthy enough to be sold in market.
muhammadimran7

Post by muhammadimran7 »

thanks farhan sb
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Farhan F-1, F-2 & normal hybrids all are sold out on the market. F-2 Joker & Swiss Giants is nor F-1 nor F-2 but is widely available at the seed stores as well as on the nurseries. Yes you are right there is nothing like F-1 hybrids.
muhammadimran7

Post by muhammadimran7 »

i like to collect seeds from plants. the purpose of my question was that i want to buy those seeds which are capable of producing next generation.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Imran sb. such seeds are not F-1 and some times there is written on the seed packet "Open pollination" or "Open Pollinated" means from these new variety can be produced.
salim tanveer
City: lahore
Gardening Interests: i really love cactus plants.

Post by salim tanveer »

kia euphoria, cactus ki he koi kism hai aur kia ye dono relatives hen?

Return to “Questions and Problems”