ROSES IN TROUBLE

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Madiha Humbal
City: Karachi

ROSES IN TROUBLE

Post by Madiha Humbal »

Dear Gardeners,
My roses need help. The leaves of the plants are drying out and falling down. Is it common in the roses? One of my plants has gone completely bare. I spray my plants with fungicide every week, so i know it is not black spot. But i do see spider webs on my plants. Are spider mites causing this problem? If yes what do i do? Also i see that newly developed leave in two my climbers are turning black. What is causing this? please help.
Muhammad Bilal
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Re: ROSES IN TROUBLE

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Madiha Humbal wrote:Dear Gardeners,
My roses need help. The leaves of the plants are drying out and falling down. Is it common in the roses? One of my plants has gone completely bare. I spray my plants with fungicide every week, so i know it is not black spot. But i do see spider webs on my plants. Are spider mites causing this problem? If yes what do i do? Also i see that newly developed leave in two my climbers are turning black. What is causing this? please help.
yes, these are the spider mites that damaging ur rose plant. The population of this insect increase very rapidly. They suck the sap from the leaves. The leaves of attacked plant changed to bronze and later get dry and fall down. The dense webs also destroy the young shoot of the plant.

Apply water to the plant, the plant get dehydrated to due the feeding of sap. Raise the humidity in the growing environment. Keep plants well watered and fertilized, because damage is increased when the plant does not receive sufficient water.

Mite populations can also be reduced by forcefully spraying plants with water, especially on the underside of leaves, to break up the webs and wash the mites off.

Use a good miticide to control the mites. Some, but not all, insecticides will also control mites try to use of these poisonous spray Malathion spray, pyrethrins, permethrin or sulfur.

Spray applied to the undersides of the leaves. Miticide applications may be needed 7 to 10 days apart to kill mites that were in the egg and resting stages during the first application.

In organic pesticides, multiple applications of a horticultural oil or insecticidal soap(for detail surf this forum), applied every 7 days, to ornamental plants will also provide good mite control.

Try garlic extract, clove oil, mint oils, rosemary oil, cinnamon oil or neem oil. Don’t use soaps or oils on water-stressed plants or when temperatures get so hot.

If ur rose plant is in pot then the quickest and easiest spider mite control is to dip the top of each plant quickly two or three times into warm water for 2-3 minutes. This will not injure and damage ur plant. This tip is effective against Aphids and mealy bug, as well as against the spider mite.
Learn & Share
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Not sure about the climber leaves turning black. It may be fungus or bacteria that causing this problem but improper watering and excess application of chemical fertilizers are the two most common cause of leaf scorch or burning.

Avoid overwatering the plant or wetting the foliage by spraying on the leaves. Also, ensure plants are evenly spaced to prevent overcrowding and apply the tilth (godi) around the climber.
Learn & Share
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Spider mites are one of most lethal threat for roses in our climate. You can use Bayer's Oberon, the best against, many times suggested by Umar Bhai.
Rafique
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

smartline256 wrote:Not sure about the climber leaves turning black. It may be fungus or bacteria that causing this problem but improper watering and excess application of chemical fertilizers are the two most common cause of leaf scorch or burning.

Avoid overwatering the plant or wetting the foliage by spraying on the leaves. Also, ensure plants are evenly spaced to prevent overcrowding and apply the tilth (godi) around the climber.
dear sir, thankyou for your advice. but i am still new to gardening. can you please suggest how to do godi. i have heard about it a lot of times, but i dont know what it is.
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Madiha Humbal wrote:
smartline256 wrote:Not sure about the climber leaves turning black. It may be fungus or bacteria that causing this problem but improper watering and excess application of chemical fertilizers are the two most common cause of leaf scorch or burning.

dear sir, thankyou for your advice. but i am still new to gardening. can you please suggest how to do godi. i have heard about it a lot of times, but i dont know what it is.
Ploughing (light digging) the soil around the plant by mean of any mechanical tool like "khurpi" (small mechanical tool) "belcha" is known hoeing or godi in urdu.

Godi benefits are

1- It makes the drainage better
2- Aeration into the soil gets better
3- Water holding capacity (moisture contents) of soil gets better
4- Fertilizer penetration in the soil get better
5- microbial activity in the soil gets better
6- weeds can be control by mean of hoeing

be-careful while doing godi dont godi the soil that deep that roots of the plants gets injured.
Attachments
dutch-hoe.jpg
dutch-hoe.jpg (19.92 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
Learn & Share
mahira
City: karachi

Post by mahira »

one of my 3 rose plants died last week bcos of these tick mites.. rest of the two are trying to recover.. i spray the leaves with a gush of plain water and it's working .. i didnt see mites or web since 1-2 weeks.. i hope they recover completely .. none of the pesticides worked for me.. i couldnt find baygon oberon in my area.. but do try the gush of water..if ur plant is small n in pot it will help n u can do it easily.. i have plants in pots n im a pest hater so i can go n spend hours on each plant until i get rid of the pests :) all the best to you
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

mahira wrote:one of my 3 rose plants died last week bcos of these tick mites.. rest of the two are trying to recover.. i spray the leaves with a gush of plain water and it's working .. i didnt see mites or web since 1-2 weeks.. i hope they recover completely .. none of the pesticides worked for me.. i couldnt find baygon oberon in my area.. but do try the gush of water..if ur plant is small n in pot it will help n u can do it easily.. i have plants in pots n im a pest hater so i can go n spend hours on each plant until i get rid of the pests :) all the best to you
yea gush of water is a good technique to get rid of aphids and tick mites insect.
Learn & Share
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Mahira which kind of mites.Please do post clear pictures f the pest.After that i may help you.Remember too much gush of water specially in evening will destroy your bushes.Roses are also not growers at Karachi because of too much humidity.
mahira
City: karachi

Post by mahira »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Mahira which kind of mites.Please do post clear pictures f the pest.After that i may help you.Remember too much gush of water specially in evening will destroy your bushes.Roses are also not growers at Karachi because of too much humidity.
red tick mites as well as white.. and yup i know ..i dont spray too much gush n not in evening .. i cant see any ticks as of now so no pics to take

Return to “Questions and Problems”