problem with seed germination

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Faiqa Hameed
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Taking care of flowering plants.

problem with seed germination

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

SALAMMZ EVERYONE.

I have planted some seeds in pots for summer blooms like gomphrene, celosia cristala, bush flower mix ,cosmos, amranthus , portulaca, zinnia and vinca F1 hybrid. The result uptill now is good with zennia, some bushes and amranthus but the rest disappointed. I am confused is it because of temperature or soil ? Although it does have a proper drainage. Is it possible to shift them in kiyari from pots ??? If yes kindly suggest the procedure. I shall be really thank ful .
Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Re: problem with seed germination

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

U did not mention the date u sow the seeds. Different seeds require different days to germinate. I think u have to wait some days more to see them germinated.
Small fine seed needs to sow in light depth, barely covered and others are planted double of its size.
If u planted seeds too deep then it make difficult for seed to germinate it plumule.
and also soil needs moisten throughout its seed germination.
and yea of course temperature affects the seed germination. optimum temperature seeds need to germinate is 17-25. Your most of the seeds germinated it means there is no problem with temp and soil moisture.
It is better to cover seeds with 1/4 of compost or coca peat rather than to cover with soil and to retain moisture cover the pot with polythene sheet.
are u talking to shift seedlings from pots to beds? if it is, then let the newly plants to produce at least 4-6 leaves before to transplant them to the bed and also transplantation done in evening or cloudy weather.
Learn & Share
Faiqa Hameed

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

I sow them on 14th April Mr. Bilal and yes I am waiting for the rest to germinate ,If it doesn't will it be ok to transplant them in beds ????
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Faiqa, I did not understand whether r u talking to shift un-germinated seeds to the soil bed or are u talking about shifting germinated plants to the bed ?
Learn & Share
Faiqa Hameed

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

I am talking of shifting un-germinated seeds to the bed
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Faiqa Hameed wrote:I am talking of shifting un-germinated seeds to the bed
That would be quite a difficult task and shifting un-germinated seeds to bed wont guarantee that they will sprout, i would recommend to start a fresh batch.

Sow the seeds in pots of well draining soil mix, 1/2 part soil, 1 part compost and 1 part sand. cover the seeds with coconut coir or fine sifted compost, both are available at good seed shops in Lahore like Pride or More Green.

Mist the seedling pots with a gentle spray of water with a spray bottle and cover them with a piece of polythene to keep the humidity levels high. Keep the pots in half sun/half shade and transplant when 2-3 sets of leaves appear.
Faiqa Hameed

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

Ok Mr. Bilal Thanks alot :)
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

How will u do it? the seeds will mess up with the soil badly.

I recommend, remain the seeds in the pots, if they are not germinated then try again with more carefully. Experience is the best teacher.

Use loamy, bhal porous, aerated and well drain soil. sow seeds in light depth and cover them with light soil or compost or cocoa peat. and wrap the pot with polythene sheet and keep the pot on shade place. Retain the soil moisture through out the germinated.

Wish u the best the next time.
Learn & Share
Faiqa Hameed

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

Ok I will try it again as u suggested .Jazak Allah Sir :)
Faiqa Hameed

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

AOA ........Mr.Bilal u once said that the time of summer sowing is March and april.Will it be ok if I do sowing in May because the temp of lahore is getting hotter. Will it be successful if one takes risk? Also i want to know can we add some amount of compost if one goes for sowing seeds directly in beds?

Return to “Questions and Problems”