Zinnia and Tomato need help?

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Usaf
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Veggies,herbs,bulbs,climber,fruit tree

Zinnia and Tomato need help?

Post by Usaf »

1) Do tell me I've sown 2 tomato plants together (first seedling then shifted into the 18'' pot) and pruned or over pruned and later gave sultan fertilizer, its giving tomatoes but the size don't get much bigger. Please guide, what to do?

2) This is my very first flower plant of zinnia. the thing I want to know if you see clearly at the edges of the box there are two small flower which didn't get bigger though another 3 got bigger why is it so? And should i cut the flower from top to get another flower?
Attachments
zinnia.jpg
tom.jpg
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: Zinnia and Tomato need help?

Post by Mustansir Billah »

The Zinnia flower are maybe single Petaled variety or it may be due to any pest. check for any pest. The reason that tomato does not grow large because the season of tomato is already over and many of us would have uprooted the plant by now or it may have died by now. In my view, it will die after ripening the tomatoes it have set. Start fresh in Fall.
Usaf
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Veggies,herbs,bulbs,climber,fruit tree

Post by Usaf »

There is no sign of pest on zinnia all are OK but as of about tomatoes its still giving many flowers so tell me what should i grow in this hot summer.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Usaf wrote:1) Do tell me I've sown 2 tomato plants together (first seedling then shifted into the 18'' pot) and pruned or over pruned and later gave sultan fertilizer, its giving tomatoes but the size don't get much bigger. Please guide, what to do?

2) This is my very first flower plant of zinnia. the thing I want to know if you see clearly at the edges of the box there are two small flower which didn't get bigger though another 3 got bigger why is it so? And should i cut the flower from top to get another flower?
My views as a non-expert:
. Tomatoes. Either a variety factor or weak soil. See the results after the application of fertilizer, if the quality does not improve,then it may be a variety meant to give this result.Be content with this; go for a better well established variety next time.
. Zinnia. Same as for Tomatoes; more likely weaker quality of seeds,which may have been collected locally.I suggest,get seeds from good,well known stores.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.

Post by Munir »

Mustansir Billah wrote:The Zinnia flower are maybe single Petaled variety or it may be due to any pest. check for any pest. The reason that tomato does not grow large because the season of tomato is already over and many of us would have uprooted the plant by now or it may have died by now. In my view, it will die after ripening the tomatoes it have set. Start fresh in Fall.
In Karachi tomatoe season may be over,but up North-in Punjab & KPK,it should continue for another 3-4 weaks.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Munir sb i agree cause we are still harvesting our tomatoes & i am not happy with the current rate as its not even covering the labor charges.
Munir
Donor
Donor

Post by Munir »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Munir sb i agree cause we are still harvesting our tomatoes & i am not happy with the current rate as its not even covering the labor charges.
. Khan Sb, sorry to know that,but is it the normal pattern? If so, why not do away with them on reaching the uneconomical stage? Which variety have you grown?
. I have grown vine/indeterminate off season variety,probably 'Sahil'. I too am not happy as a big % of green fruit has recently started rotting,mostly with a hole on it, indicating a pest, though I have not observed one so far. However,they are still growing flowers & young fruits, as such I'll let them stay another 10-15 days. Yesterday,I have covered the vines- now about 6'-10',with green cloth to protect them from scorching sun. Hope it helps.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Red Diamond F-1 by somex seeds. Sahil is for winter green house production. Munir sb dont cover with green cloth. The rotten green fruits are definitely an indication of pest specially catterpilers.But don,t spray with any pesticide as the fruit is in harvesting stage.

Return to “Questions and Problems”