Question

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

muhammadimran7
City: rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: growing from seeds

Question

Post by muhammadimran7 »

AOA

1. why the soil surface is becoming greenish. what is the solution for normalize it.

2. why coleus plant is looking like that. i have inspected closely but there is no sign of any pest. plants in picture 2 and 3 are same

3. my plants are start dying one by one. they are quite well in morning but when i see them in evening, they are laying on the ground. what is the reason.

Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: Question

Post by Mustansir Billah »

You are over watering your plants and you have proved it yourself by posting Picture#1:) The problem in picture#1 is also due to over watering. Remember that if the leaves of the plants are tilting and curling and there is no sign of pest and they feel moist than you are over watering but if the leaves are curling and they seem dried and they are no sign of any pest than that is probably due to water lacking.
muhammadimran7

Post by muhammadimran7 »

Mustansir sb i am very careful about watering. in such intense heat, i only water the plants at morning. i check the soil if it feels dry then i water them
Muhammad Bilal
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Pic-1 shows growth of algae or moss in ur pot. This is the clear sign of over watering. Which is dangerous for the soft plants like coleus.
1- due to over watering air spaces in soil filled with water due to which plants root can not breathe. In start, plant's lower leaves start yellowing due to the lack of oxygen.
2- prolong over watering promote fungus growth. fungus spores germinate in the presence of moisture. in favorable condition fungus multiply very fast in the soil or one the surface of soil and then it start infecting the leaves, stems or roots.
In pic-1 I see the fungus infection in one leaf (fungus leaf spot).
Your coleus dying that may be due to root rot, their roots are rotting (due to the fungus in the soil). or It also me be due to excess heat (heat stress). Coleus are not full sun plants.
In pic-2 I m sure ur coleus got root rot.

Hope that help u.
Learn & Share
muhammadimran7

Post by muhammadimran7 »

thanks bilal sb
so what should i do
reduce water quantity and spray fungicide
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Imran it seems your coleus remains in direct sunlight in the afternoon hours.Coleus needs filtered sun in the after noon.Either place it under filtered sun or place it where it may receive early morning sun or sun light in the evening but shade in the afternoon.You will have to water it because your plants are in clay pots which dries up rapidly.Over watering is when your plants are in open soil.When ever your plants are in ground beds its good if you let the soil dries up in between the waterings.
Dont use fungicide at the moment its very hot & there are no rains.Another thing we grow coleus for its colorful foliage & not for the flower spikes.Remove the flower spikes to make the plants busy.
muhammadimran7

Post by muhammadimran7 »

thanks umar sb for valuable comments. i think and as you mentioned; heat is the main cause for coleus because its leaves color is also faded
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

muhammadimran7 wrote:thanks umar sb for valuable comments. i think and as you mentioned; heat is the main cause for coleus because its leaves color is also faded
There you are.
Muhammad Bilal
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

muhammadimran7 wrote:thanks bilal sb
so what should i do
reduce water quantity and spray fungicide
u r welcome
yea reduce watering, water plant when they needed, when upper 1" soil get dry.
and take ur coleus in shade.
Learn & Share
flowers
City: karachi
Gardening Interests: interested in vegetable and flower gardening

Post by flowers »

i bought a green chillie plant from nursery.. it had out of 10 flowers and 2 chillies. but in one week it lost all of them and its leaves ar falling without any reason . i have no idea about its care ... what shall i do????? ]

Return to “Questions and Problems”