Trying to find Garden Lime and Epsom Salt

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

RedEyeJedi
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Intend to grow organic vegetables for personal consumption.

Trying to find Garden Lime and Epsom Salt

Post by RedEyeJedi »

As the title says. Have been looking everywhere for the two but can't seem to find them.
Any leads would be highly appreciated.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Trying to find Garden Lime and Epsom Salt

Post by Izhar »

both easily available in Joria bazar.... Garden lime as Calcium carbonate and Epsom salt as Magnesium sulfate
RedEyeJedi
Gardening Interests: Intend to grow organic vegetables for personal consumption.

Post by RedEyeJedi »

Someone i know advised against getting it from Jodia Bazzaar. He said they have the chemical compounds (Magnesium and calcium carbonate), not the epsom-salt and garden-lime (from which the two nutriente are derived from).

According to him, these compounds are not suitable to ad to a completely organic soil mix as they don't need to be broken down since they are readily available. I intend to make my own soil mix and leave it to cure for a month or more.

Confused.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

K.I.S.S. or keep it short & sweet!

Why do you need to add those specific ingredients?
RedEyeJedi

Post by RedEyeJedi »

Haha.. You're being polite aren't you Newton? I've been told to "Keep It Simple Stupid" before. :lol:

Yeah, i know keep it simple. But I'm trying to get my soil mix (peat based which is acidic) into a very specic PH range of 6.5-7. It's completely organic, so don't want to add any chems in there which may cause some other issues.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

ORGANIC... sigh~

RedEyeJedi, you can visit Abdul seed store, Vitex garden shop, Lotia n sons garden shop all near sunsent boulevard DHA for these organic constituents...
RedEyeJedi

Post by RedEyeJedi »

Yeah, i've heard that reaction before too.... I don't know why the (quote) organic way (end quote) of doing things gets such a bad rap here. I don't want to get into an argument of which is better, coz i know the jury's still out, but as an enthusiast there's no harm in giving it a go.

I've gotten a very successful hydroponic tomato and herb grow under my belt last year, It was really quick, it was purely chemical and it was perfectly healthy and delicious. and i intend to do the same this time alongside the organic batch ;)
RedEyeJedi

Post by RedEyeJedi »

Also, you're right, i've been to almost every garden shop in DHA/Saddar area and managed to get a bunch of non chem ingredients. There's a lot of stuff available out there if someone is into it, and can take the pain to look.
RedEyeJedi

Post by RedEyeJedi »

Got Epsom salts from Kauser Medico Gizri.

Garden lime's all that's left.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

When I want raise the PH of my potting or soil mix I add a mixture of washed beach sand, composted sea weed and wood ash.

The sand contains silica, seashell calcium etc.
The wood ash has a naturally high PH range.
The sea weed provides natural growth hormones like the Gibberellins and its PH drifts upwards.
Crushed Eggshells added to compost provides a calcium additive and also increases the composts PH range.

Please let us know how you get on

Return to “Questions and Problems”