Peonies

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

ahussain
City: Beach Park

Peonies

Post by ahussain »

Do Peonies grow in Lahore?
UMAR KHAN

Re: Peonies

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Peony do not grow in our plains due tohot summers.in Hilly areas like Murre & Abbottabad they grow very succefully.i have seen The bowl of beauty in Abbottabad.i think it also takes too much time to reach flowering age.
ahussain

Post by ahussain »

There are peonies that can survive in zone 8-9. Have you grown your from seeds or plants. Peonies onces in ground do not like to be moved. Also one has to plant them at the right depth for flowering. PH also is very important. With any plant one has to know how to grow and take care of the plant.
Have you seen any Hydrangea plants in Lahore? Easy to grow from cuttings. Flower color can be changed by changing the PH. I have some with blue ,pink and a mixture of both.
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin
City: Karachi

Post by mirafzalkhan »

USDA Hardiness Zones are not perfect, they have some drawbacks especially in over environment they are just for an idea, because they don’t consider summer heat levels. A plant that is described as "hardy to zone 10b" means that the plant can withstand a minimum temperature of 4°C but can this plant withstand a temperature of 40 oC or above?. pH range for Hydrangea is b/w 5.1 to 7.5, tried a pH 6 potting soil for Hydrangea & even after the plant cannot survive a week of April in Karachi which have lower summer temperatures than Lahore.
ahussain

Post by ahussain »

For Hydrangea. It is important to have your water tested so that it will not "contaminate" the soil that you have so rigorously balanced. The pH of the water should not be higher than 5.6.
Hydrangea arborescens is considered hardy in USDA zones 4 through 9, which have average annual minimum Temperatures between minus 30 and 30 degrees F. I am in zone 4F5. Average summer temp of 85F. Winter temp reach minus 30F. I have hardy banana and a hardy Bamboo plant in the ground. I can send you cuttings all all my Hydrangea in spring or late winter.
ahussain

Post by ahussain »

The cuttings will be shipped free to you. Please remind me. Thanks. My family will be in Lahore in March. If any of the Pakistani Govt.official happen to be in the USA around this time then I can send you the plants through them.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

ahussain wrote:The cuttings will be shipped free to you. Please remind me. Thanks. My family will be in Lahore in March. If any of the Pakistani Govt.official happen to be in the USA around this time then I can send you the plants through them.
Which other plants you are growing? In other words which other cuttings we can get for free? :)
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Mirafzal sb is extremly right.USDA zones are not perfect in our climate.
Muqeem Akhundzadeh
City: Peshawar

Post by Muqeem Akhundzadeh »

I am in Peshawar . I found strange variation extreme hot 50 degree :( and -4 degree :( . its survival problem for my garden in both extremes any body can suggest the hardiness with comparison of USDA
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

I agree. We cannot expect peonies and hydrangeas to grow in Lahore. That would be just too good to be true. Still we have quite a few good options in our weather for beautiful flowers.

Return to “Questions and Problems”