Rooftop Garden Soil Thickness

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

usman.haq
City: Islamabad

Rooftop Garden Soil Thickness

Post by usman.haq »

If I want to build a vegetable garden on my rooftop, how thick/deep the layer of soil can be?
I have concrete lenter roof

Can anyone share his experience or any one with architectural engineering background can help?

To give an idea to the people who may not know, a rooftop garden having dimension of 3’ x 6’ x 1.5’ can have a weight of more then a small car, btw anyone can correct me if I am wrong in these calculations
ahussain
City: Beach Park

Re: Rooftop Garden Soil Thickness

Post by ahussain »

If you can make your own light weight dirt (soil) similar to imported dirt then four 8 by 8 by 6 inches would be ok. Pakistani roofs are very strong and can handle heavy weights.
dragoonsers
City: Karachi

Post by dragoonsers »

I get the idea u want soil on ur roof? :o

thats a bad idea. You'll soon have leaking rooftops! its better u start by gardening in pots on ur rooftop. its easier! hope i helped.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

I've actually been thinking of the same thing. I don't want to use space for vegetables in the lawn and I'm not sure how to grow the deep carrots, onions, turnips etc on the rooftop. They would need quite a deep soil bed.
usman.haq
City: Islamabad

Post by usman.haq »

Thanks for the helpful replies and comments

@ A.Hussain can you tell what are the ingredients of the imported soil, and how can it be made locally and cost effectively
I was thinking about mixing soil, compost and coconut coir, it would be lighter in weight and I think would be good for plants as well.

You can also reply on this forum as well which was started to have this discussion
http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... 42&start=0

@ dragoonsers I have chips floor on the roof so leaking roof may not be a problem and we can put a thick plastic sheet under the soil to prevent water to reach the floor, the only problem I am concerned about is the weight

@ AyKhan Carrots are less then one feet deep and Onions and Turnips are may be upto 6 inches deep all can be grown in one foot soil,

My plan was to plant vegetables and Reddish as well, Reddish having the deepest root can go to more then one foot so I was planning to go for 18-inch deep soil; I am keeping the depth to the limit because more depth means more weight, which may not be suitable for the roof
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

Hmm well i would advise against it. And even if you do put plastic, drainage problems will happen in rain (isl rain is heavy heavy i know)!

You can grow any vegetable in pots. It'll require investment and tough work at first ie. lots of pots, filling them arranging etc but its great! I have grown carrots tomatoes chillis cherry tomato bell peppers and turnips and they grow very well in pots. Easier to water fertilize and u can move them around so there's enough space to walk etc etc.

But thats just my two cents, rest upto u :)
ahussain
City: Beach Park

Post by ahussain »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDMfEhj_ ... re=related
This will answer most rooftop garden concerns.
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

Johara
Donor
Donor

Post by Johara »

Usman. I just read an article in the Tribune about an architect in Lahore who has a roof garden http://tribune.com.pk/story/303509/the-green-house/ maybe there is a way of contacting him to find out what needs to be done.

Return to “Questions and Problems”