Narcissus (Gul-e-nargis)

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Narcissus (Gul-e-nargis)

Post by Hamad »

I got to know something about narcissus locally also known as gul-e-nargis, is it better to leave the bulbs in beds when they hibernate in off season or to take them out and sow them next season like daffodil, hyacinth and some other, because some bulbs are kind of native to our climate and they don’t die if we leave them in bedding or soil like tuberose, narcissus(gul-e-nargis) and amaryllis, but what’s the difference (regarding bloom and maturity), because we do have a big family of bulb plants few need to be taken out during hibernation and few don’t but is it good for all of them to be practised the same way, can someone guide me.
Attachments
narcissus-flower-10.jpg
PrOud tO BE Oo92
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Narcissus (Gul-e-nargis)

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

leave them undisturb.do not cut off the foliage after flowering other wise it will not flower next year.let the foliage turns brown.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Thanx for reply, but my question is still there and its about the bulb not about the foliage, because back home one of my town mate is keeping Gul-e-nargis bulbs out of soil when they hibernate and sow them again for new season like we do for gladiolus, daffodil and some other family like tulip etc, I just want to know the difference in bloom, its progress or the maturity and regarding the multiplication of its bulbs.
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Those bulbs and tubers which remain in the soil tend to multiply and produce better blooms, compared to the ones which are taken out and stored.. one thing which can be done is to take them out just a week or so before their growing season and replant in soil mixed with a little fertilizer..
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Thanx Izhar and I need some information from you because it’s related to Karachi, there is a common tree in your city with orange flowers and is so common that it can be found at any place, even it’s on the green belts, parks, gardens and all over, I was trying to find a pic but sorry and if I m not wrong from the same family we have with purple flowers in our city and locally its known as "Neelam" I don’t know its botanical name and it’s a beautiful tree. I want to bring this tree from Karachi to Wah, will it be successful in my climate?
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

are you talking about Delonix regia ??
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Yes I was looking for this tree, can I do this experiment and will it survive in my climate or is it only for humid climate like Karachi and do you know the name of same kind of tree with purple flower very common in Punjab, seems to be like from same family because both do have almost same kind of leaves.
PrOud tO BE Oo92
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Hamad wrote:Yes I was looking for this tree, can I do this experiment and will it survive in my climate or is it only for humid climate like Karachi and do you know the name of same kind of tree with purple flower very common in Punjab, seems to be like from same family because both do have almost same kind of leaves.

I think you are referring to Jacaranda tree. It is indeed one of the most beautiful trees in the world!It sheds it 's leaves and becomes covered with flowers and nothing else! Although the leaves are similar but the seed pods are very different. I tried growing it in Karachi but they did not survive, although Shalimar nursey in Karachi does sell it. On the other hand, the Delox regia will not survive the cold winds of Islamabad.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Delonix regia needs heat and a lot of it. It is almost touching 40 degrees in Lahore now and only now are the dormant trees from winter starting to sprout back o life. They are in full bloom when it is blazing hot in May and June. I think the purple tree you're talking about might be Bauhinia purpurea which is commmonly known a Kachnar. For some reason I've seen more of those in Lahore than Jacaranda. Kachnar is also very beautiful. I'f you like tons of yellow then Cassia fistula or Amaltas, but again it blooms in the high heat so I'm not sure how it'll do in cooler areas.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

I think you are referring to Jacaranda tree. It is indeed one of the most beautiful trees in the world!It sheds it 's leaves and becomes covered with flowers and nothing else! Although the leaves are similar but the seed pods are very different. I tried growing it in Karachi but they did not survive, although Shalimar nursey in Karachi does sell it. On the other hand, the Delox regia will not survive the cold winds of Islamabad.[/quote]

Certainly Farooq that's the tree, actually my knowledge regarding trees and especially their botanical name is very limited comparatively to plants and flowers, I fancy trees with blooms I do have Plumeria but is not big enough to bloom yet but I want to increase my collection and I need Delox regia but what do you say will it get neutralize in my climate or not, I will give it a try by planting it in south direction so that it can get full sun and will try to cover in winters.
And I really do appreciate your contribution in this topic and by increasing my knowledge regarding trees and as far as Jacaranda concern it do worth to have one in your garden just like Delox regia, even their leaves are so beautiful but climate is the problem!, do you have Delox regia?
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Questions and Problems”