Gardenia Lover

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Nice
City: Lahore

Gardenia Lover

Post by Nice »

Slaam everyone,

I have very little green patch about 10'x15', and around 20 plants in pots. Recently I explored this website and realized that it is really good platform for gardening information. All members are rich with information and very generous to share this. In recent past I caught in love with gardenia. I have 6 gardenia plants, 5 in pots and in ground. I need help from you people how to grow this plant successfully. I red on this forum to use coffee grounds. Usually in Lahore we don't use enough coffee all the time and if use then it will be instant coffee. Now my question is where to get these coffee grounds.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Gardenia Lover

Post by Izhar »

If you dont have Coffee grounds don't worry... buy Ferrous Sulfate from the chemical market (I guess Akbari Mandi in Lahore), make a solution with one tablespoon of Ferrous Sulfate in 4 liters of water... for one month water your Gardenias with this solution every week (along with normal watering).. then after a month use this solution twice monthly... NPK formula of 3:1:2 works best for Gardenias...
Nice

Post by Nice »

Izhar wrote:If you dont have Coffee grounds don't worry... buy Ferrous Sulfate from the chemical market (I guess Akbari Mandi in Lahore), make a solution with one tablespoon of Ferrous Sulfate in 4 liters of water... for one month water your Gardenias with this solution every week (along with normal watering).. then after a month use this solution twice monthly... NPK formula of 3:1:2 works best for Gardenias...

Certainly i will do this. Thank you Mr. Izhar
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I love gardenias too. Then who doesn't :) Izhar is right another thing I was told was to add a cup full of vinegar to a gallon of water and drench your pot every month. The best thing to see if your coffeee ground, Iron or vinegar are working is to get a pH meter and check to see that is is between 5.5 to 6 which would probably be best for gardenias. Contrary to common thought I think they will do best in dappled light in the hot weather of Lahore. Be careful of root rot and maybe drench with anti-fungal now and then. Also to prevent root rot water only when dry but not bone dry. Too much or too little water will cause yellow leaves and bud drop. Bud drop will also be a problem when the night and day temperatures are not too different.
Nice

Post by Nice »

Thank you Khan sahib. I have read your interest about plumeria and magnolia. I am also fond of these two. I have seven different type of plumeria and two magnolia. I will upload pics when these will bloom(I hope soon).
Nice

Post by Nice »

Izhar, please guide what is best brand of 'NPK formula of 3:1:2' and where to get this in small pack.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Dont confuse with the NPK numbers.. just buy any general purpose chemical fertilizer like GrowMore, Miracle-gro etc but dont forget to use Ferrous Sulfate.. it really makes the difference..
Shahzz

Post by Shahzz »

Izhar wrote:Dont confuse with the NPK numbers.. just buy any general purpose chemical fertilizer like GrowMore, Miracle-gro etc but dont forget to use Ferrous Sulfate.. it really makes the difference..
Local name of Ferrous Sulfate?
hnasir
Gardening Interests: Orchids
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

There is no local name.. :)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

hnasir wrote:There is no local name.. :)
How about Iron Sulphate?
Want to pay mucn,much more buy it from any garden store if you want it very, very cheep Akbari store, Akbari Mandi Tele 37639511-15.

Return to “Questions and Problems”