how to save ranunculas bulbs...

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

zainab
City: lahore

how to save ranunculas bulbs...

Post by zainab »

i have some ranunculas bulbs.... plz can someone guide me how to save these for the next season.
also plz tell me whether these are called bulbs, corms, rhizomes or what?? because i have read these being mentioned as all the 3 i mentioned in different places. i mean some ppl mentioned these as bulbs some as corms and some as rhizomes.

what are these actually?
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: how to save ranunculas bulbs...

Post by aykhan »

I believe the most accurate would be corms. I'm saving them for the first time also. I dug them, washed them and dried them in shade for a few days and then split to separate the new formed ones. I've read that they can be stored in dry peat moss in a dark place so that they don't touch each other. They should be inspected off and on and any corms which show signs of mold should be removed.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

BTW it would have been better had ou posted this under questions and problems. This segment is to share pictures.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

These are Tubers and the food storage parts are the roots...

Just keep these where they were growing if in pots... if in bed then dig them and plant these in a large pot in plain soil and water them lightly fortnightly during dry weather and stop watering during monsoon as the moisture in air will be enough...they don't survive for long above soil..
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Izhar, wouldnt the watering cause mold problems and just make it technically more difficult to save bulbs sinec one can never really be sure how much moisture is enough? The bulbs I bought and planted in Fall were really bone dry and sprouted quite well.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

As long as they are in soil, they are less likely to rot... you can stop watering completely as long as the moisture in the air is high enough..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I pulled mine out washed, dipped in fungicid suspension, dried in shade and packed in dry coco crush. Should I leave them dry or use slightly moist coco?

Return to “Questions and Problems”