Can Nursery be called a Garden?

What is a Garden? Intellectual Debates, Gardening Fun & Quotes

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Can Nursery be called a Garden?

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Tahir Sb.........i have one query regarding profiteering as you said.

Nursery men gets profit by selling plants......but i also get profit maybe sometimes in terms of veggie or fruit harvest etc etc.....So what type of profit differentiate us with nurserymen.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

farhan137 wrote:@Tahir Sb.........i have one query regarding profiteering as you said.

Nursery men gets profit by selling plants......but i also get profit maybe sometimes in terms of veggie or fruit harvest etc etc.....So what type of profit differentiate us with nurserymen.
As you said nursery men gets profit by selling plants - usually young plants, which are grown with the sole aim of selling them.
A nursery might not sell fruit or vegie harvest. One would rather call it an orchard.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Can we say that the profit generated by nursery men is by disposing off/selling plants and our profit is from joy of growing and there might be some harvest, but the plant stays with us either for next season or till its demise?

Like he sells buffalo :-) but i don't ..........by taking care of it i get a byproduct of Milk. Sometimes my sole purpose could be milk alone....yet the symbiotic relation of me and my buffalo will always be there....i will not sell it and she will give me milk :-)
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

farhan137 wrote:@Hakraza Sb

Lets say i visit your garden.....plants are owned by you, not me......but still that would be a garden for me? WHY?????????
A little help please
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

farhan137 wrote:Can we say that the profit generated by nursery men is by disposing off/selling plants and our profit is from joy of growing and there might be some harvest, but the plant stays with us either for next season or till its demise?

Like he sells buffalo :-) but i don't ..........by taking care of it i get a byproduct of Milk. Sometimes my sole purpose could be milk alone....yet the symbiotic relation of me and my buffalo will always be there....i will not sell it and she will give me milk :-)
These are philosophical questions with "grayish" answers rather than black and white :-). Just as in physics, they discuss that a Schrodinger's cat can be found in a state which is both alive and dead at the same time :-). They have been discussing this since 1940s.

I find a parallel discussion here that can a piece of land be a garden and a nursery at the same time? Or like a omnipotence paradox: If Zeus can do anything, can he make a stone which he cannot lift? That raises a dilemma - that if Zeus cannot lift a stone he is not omnipotent. On the other hand if he cannot make such a stone, he loses his omnipotence as well :-). It is also few centuries old problem.

Now your original question is no less than this paradox - I will name it as Farhan's garden-nursery paradox :-), because there is really no black and white answer. And that's why it has attracted so many replies. At least you made us think !!!

Regards.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Lets try to make this grey area as black & white as possible. Will be requiring you help
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

So what type of profit differentiate us with nurserymen.
Monetary profits :)
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Can we call that "Super Market'...........home?????????
Certainly not... answer this, can we roam around in a super market at 3:00 a.m. like we can do in our home???
Supermarket is a place where all the necessities of life like food, clothing etc are sold... we buy them and use these items in our homes..... that is the purpose of this enterprise.... isn't it :) although in a large supermarket there are also beds on display but we can only enjoy them till the supermarket is open, if we start to live there and cause disturbance.... we might end up in jail :D
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thankyou for clarification.

Next question :-)

If the same market display the item on a road.....can we call it a garden. Or put it directly a flower show arranged for exhibition, sale, profiteering etc etc. Can that be called a Garden.......

Next point we would be discussing is Exhibition......is exhibition a role of garden or not??? Every Gardener want to exhibit his garden to fellow gardeners and general public but is this exhibition different than exhibition by the shop for the sale of items????
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

The garden is place result of someone’s effort, love, devotion, determination and patience. Garden have every things for which gardener put effort. There could be fruits, flowers, vegetables or landscape ……..etc. If I sowed , grown and taken care of flowers then it would be a flower garden only for which I spent my efforts, it cant have fruits, vegeies and landscape. For more things to have in my garden I would need more effort,love, devotion, determination and patience…………….gardens are earned and are not sell able.
Purpose of exhibition of garden is to motivate the others that he/she can have such or better garden with his/her own efforts.
Nurseries are sell able and purchase able.
Rafique

Return to “Soul of Gardening”