Gardenias

Enjoy our Senior Member's Beautiful Blooms!

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Gardenias

Post by aykhan »

Brig saheb all gardenias will need to be treated the same. You can go to any nursery and ask for gardenia and when they take you to the spot you'll realize they are not giving them the TLC we are ready to give them and even then they're doing well. Yesterday Khabbab and I saw a beautiful flowered gardenia at Siraj nursery for Rs 50 only. He thought it was local, therefore the cheap price! I think he sold us gardenia jasminoides cultivar Augusta or Belmont :D
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Brigd sb Gardenias are so easy to care.neglect them after planting.plant in filtred sun,add some leaf compost.under trees is right location.leave them untouched & they will reward u with so many flowers every spring/summer.another thing you see any thing by chance pick it from the nursery.what i mean you may not get it next year or even the next day.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Khan saheb I agree. If you see and recgnize something good just pick it up!
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

So you guys are suggesting, i can plant a gardenia under a neem tree?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

make sure to use Ferrous Sulfate... a healthy green plant will definitely produce more blooms then a chlorotic plant
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Is diluted vinegar is an option instead of ferrous sulfate?
Lahore gardening blog
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Khabbab, I plan to make my gardenia bed below my neem tree. I will however keep the gardenias there in a pot for a few months to make sure they're happy there before putting them in the ground. Roses and gardenias and jasmines, what more could a gardener desire :D
Izhar, the iron is doing wonders for bringing the pH down. I used it and the pH meter showed between 5.5 to 6 and the leaves now look much healthier. The variegated ones show so much better color and green-white demarcation. Definitely beats coffee or tea! Thanks for the advice.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Organic acids breakdown easily by microbes and they quickly change the pH... diluted and regular application is required...
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I have read authentic materials about using vinegar to decrease pH in gardenias. I confess I haven't tried it myself? There is some controversy on the issue I guess and the best options are likely iron followed by coffee grounds or tea.
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

Okay i will use diluted vinegar. But i am afraid the roots of neem tree are every where around its base. If i plant a gardenia, it will be under shade of neem tree leaves and below the gardenia roots might conflict with neem tree roots?
Lahore gardening blog

Return to “Dr Amer's Exotic Garden”