Gardenias

Enjoy our Senior Member's Beautiful Blooms!

Moderator: Izhar

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Gardenias

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Brigd sb if you mean a gardenia bush full of flowers its impossible in our country.actually when the days are hot & the nights are cool Gardenia produce flowers.we have very little time for that.i haven,t seen more than 15-20 fully opened flowers on gardenia bush.mine are almost 6 years old but they only produce 15-20 flowers per plant.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Brigd sb if you mean a gardenia bush full of flowers its impossible in our country.actually when the days are hot & the nights are cool Gardenia produce flowers.we have very little time for that.i haven,t seen more than 15-20 fully opened flowers on gardenia bush.mine are almost 6 years old but they only produce 15-20 flowers per plant.
15-20 at a time or in a year, if at a time, approximately how many per year?
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Brig saheb we grow so many trees and vines to see flowering maybe 2-3 weeks of the year. Gardenia will flower more than that. Also it is a beautiful shrub even without flowers if not allowed to get leggy. A gardenia I bought last year (and managed to mutilate in full 10 hours sun) was less than two feet and had maybe 20 or 30 buds at one time. They all dropped since I was not aware back then what I could have done to possibly avoid that.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Brig sb my gardenias start flowering from the mid of the March & flowers the whole summer.they are my favorites i daily stop for a while to enjoy the fragrance in the morning.the whole summer they have 15-20 flowers.as soon as the older flowers fade new open in quik sucesion just like Hibiscus.hibiscus flower is just for a day or even motia but its full of flowers every morning.the only difference is that gardenia do not produce so many flowers.we wait for bulbs to flower the whole year,i think gardenia is good.it flowers continously the whole summer.it does not mean i don,t like bulbs.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Is it true that south african gardenias including thunbergia and coronata are more easy to grow than others? Although izhar reports that taitensis is the easiest of all gardenias?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

khabbab wrote:Is it true that south african gardenias including thunbergia and coronata are more easy to grow than others? Although izhar reports that taitensis is the easiest of all gardenias?
I would second that. Tahitian gardenia has been very robust in my experience- no yellowing problem or diseases. It just requires minimum care. But, this comes with a prices that the fragrance of Tahitian gardenia is not as great or strong as that of the other gardenias.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Yes it is very mildly scented.. may be good as a rootstock for more fragrant gardenia varieties..
haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Post by haris.kabir »

Can Gardenia be successfully grown from cuttings ?
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Cuttings have low success rate compared to air-layering
haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Post by haris.kabir »

Izhar wrote:Cuttings have low success rate compared to air-layering
What is the best time to air-layer them ?

Return to “Dr Amer's Exotic Garden”