Gardenias

Enjoy our Senior Member's Beautiful Blooms!

Moderator: Izhar

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Gardenias

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Monsoon.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Can we predict the condition of a gardenia by looking at its leaves? whether PH is fine or not? What is difference between light green leaves and dark green leaves on gardenia and also partial yellow leaf?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Over and under watering both can cause yellow leaves. Too much heat can also cause it since plant wants to conserve water. Iron deficiency can also causes pale leaves. Since I started giving my gardenias iron, the leaves are a darker green and look more healthy generally.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Mine have also improved with Ferus sulphate+sulpher application.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

How much sulphur per plant are you applying and how often? Where did you get the sulphur?
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

I have started ferros sulphate on two plants.i want to increase the blooming power of gardenia.i mix two table spoon ferros sulphate in 4 liters water & give it to my plants on forth nightly bases.now i m thinking to stop it.too much watering also reduce the flower production.i think if we know the exact ph of soil then the soil conditioner will also work for our gardenias.but compost also gives the best results.feed plants with plenty of compost,filtred sun & they will flower too much.which factor we out of our control is the day night temp.when the days are round about 40c & nights 30c gardenias flower very fast.but unfortunately we have very few days which are ideal for flowering specially when we move towards south.these are my personal observations may be i m wrong.if i m wrong please correct me.actually gardenias are very fussy plants not only in our country but every where.because of the req temp they are best suited to sub tropicals.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

One of my Gardenia i started from cutting last year has formed a flower bud... lets see if it blooms or drops due to heat..
AnasAsifa

Post by AnasAsifa »

same here. Gardenia that i bought 3 weeks back with yellow leaves the new leaves are more green and healthy looking due to the application of ferrous sulfate as recommended by izhar.
One of its branch has started making 2 sub branches with a tiny flower bud in the middle. :-)
Should I continue fertilizing with npk 17:17:17 and ferrous sulfate bimonthly?
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Congratulations.. :) yes continue this regimen.. till November... a pause for 2.5 months and resume by mid January... want to multiply it?? check out this topic: http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... f=30&t=343
AnasAsifa

Post by AnasAsifa »

Thanx for the help :-)

Return to “Dr Amer's Exotic Garden”