Bauhinia variegata

Enjoy our Senior Member's Beautiful Blooms!

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Bauhinia variegata

Post by M Farooq »

ASA, Long time ago Dr. sahab shared his lovely Bauhinia variegata pictures. Could you share the name of the vendor/place where one can reliably purchase the seeds of Bauhinia variegata? Nursery men do not seem to be aware of the difference between purpurea and variegata, at least in major Karachi nurseries.
Bauhinia variegata.jpg
Regards.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Bauhinia variegata

Post by mikhurram »

Dr. Farooq,

Our local Kachnar is Bauhinia Variegata which flowers in March. The imported Kachnar varieties are Bauhinia Purpurea and Bauhinia Blackeana and these two flower in November.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Dear Khurram sb, I have been deceived so many times by nurseries that until and unless I don't see the flowers I would not like to believe that it is the same tree as Dr. Amer Khan has. I always got purpurea because it had narrow pinkish petals. May be variegata is common in Lahore but I have not seen the variegata in Islamabad or Karachi ( few exceptions).
What I got was this (and this is common in Islbd). BTW, how is the kewra doing, any signs of flowers?
Attachments
Bauhinia- sold as purple one.JPG
Bauhinia- sold as purple one.JPG (51.77 KiB) Viewed 7504 times
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Dr Farooq,

The Kewra is yet to flower as it's still in the pot and the pot is proving to be insufficient for it as the its root have cracked the pot.

How is your fellowship progressing ?

Here's some information about Bauhinia which appeared in NZ Gardener Magazine.

mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Some extracts from "A Sahib's Manual for the Mali" by Sydney Percy-Lancaster who lived in India for over 50 years till the mid 50's and was the last Englishman to hold the title of Superintendent Horticulture of India.

Bauhinia variegata.
" A comparatively small tree, this bauhinia is easily recognized, especially when in flower in February or March, depending on locality. Flowers of Bauhinia variegata are orchid like in general shape. The colour is variable, for some tress are deep purply pink, others pink with crimson lines, and some may be found which are pure white. . In the dry provinces the trees are deiduous when they come into bloom making a group of them a beautiful sight.The flower buds are popular with certain classes for use as a vegetable."

Bauhinia purpurea.
"This bauhinia can be distinguished from the former by the fact that it flowers in November, and is deciduous almost throughout the hot weather. The petals of the flowers are narrower and are usually more reflexed, the colour as a rule being a deep pink. Specimens of white flowers exists, but are rare in cultivation. The trees are not as tall as the variabilis, while the branching habit is more dense. The crown of the tree is more rounded in shape. The flowers are profusely borne and are succeeded within a few weeks by long, sword-like green pods which turn purplish before ripening. This tree is admirably suited for the small garden."
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

I like the one which Dr. Amer Khan has. It sheds its leaves and then get covered with nothing but flowers like a cherry blossom. Good to know that it is variegata.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Ive been away from the forum for a long time. Mostly active on the Facebook page. Farooq Saheb please email me ayk_md@hotmail.com and I will be happy to send you seeds when fresh are available. If you would like a plant picked up please let me know and I can provide you with a plant also.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Thank you Dr. Sahab! Glad to see you back. The forum has been pretty inactive as most of the users have switched to facebook version. I will send you an email.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I'm very sporadic on the forum now. Too much has been happening around me. I have not forgotten your request for bauhinia seeds. However this year also it got infested and I decided to cut down all the branches so I can spray. If the same problem occurs next year I will presume the area is disease prone. However luckily I have found seeds lying in my cupboard. These are from the flowers of which you have a seen pictures of from few years ago. I hope they are still viable. I will mail these out to you guys in a couple of weeks when I return to LAHORE.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Thanks Doc sahab. I would wait for your purple Bauhinia seeds. Hope the tree gets well soon. How can a tree fall sick in doctor's hands :-)?

Return to “Dr Amer's Exotic Garden”